So who's your tailor?

cherry_mmm
on 12/29/09 2:33 pm
Hey everyone. I've just started my ride, being banded 17 days ago, and I'm already starting to see its effects. Including the pre-op diet, I'm down 21 pounds, which I certainly hope continues!

Now, about that -- does anyone have a GREAT tailor or seamstress that they've worked with, particularly on letting in/letting out/refitting some clothes to your new body? I plan to give my heavier clothes away as soon as I'm out of them to help motivate me to not gain again, but there are some good pieces which I love that I'd like to be able to take along with me.

Recomendations in the Jersey City area (and surrounding vicitiny) would be great. For someone who's amazing and reasonable, I'll travel.

Also, this might be separate, but when it comes to a seamstress -- I plan to wear practically a uniform for the next year while I'm losing weight. Tight black leggings with short dresses or skirts that hang loosely, but nicely - you know, the flexibility to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative. I have a few very basic pieces that i'd like to show someone to insipire a recreation, more tailored for me, and in a few different sizes to help take some of the clothes drama out of my life!

Message me if you can help with a really quality recommendation. Thanks!
Barbara R.
on 1/1/10 12:26 pm - Toms River, NJ
As someone who sews, I can tell you the effort that goes into remaking a garment is not worth the time or money, unless you're talking about expensively tailored suits or dresses or coats. I'm down 3 sizes in 8 weeks and the only thing I plan on altering is putting a drawstring casing into my scrub tops I bought just before deciding to have WLS. All my clothing will be either given to a friend or Freecycled.

Personally, I'd rather make a garment new than alter anything. No, I'm not for hire........ you couldn't pay me enough to alter clothing!  :)  There is someone on Main Street in Toms River who has done work for me. I don't know the name of the business, but you can probably do a search on Google.  :)
Poof, there goes another pound

~~~ ~~ ~ Barbara, wavin' from the Jersey Shore ~~~ ~~ ~
cherry_mmm
on 1/1/10 3:51 pm
That's great information! Thank you.
And you've taught me that my vocabulary for this is totally wrong! I just want garments that are similar to some that are perfect for me. For example, I have a few simple dresses from Torrid and Old Navy that are just perfect for my particular body shape (bust is tight, everything else is loose and drapes nicely, but doesn't look like maternity). I only find things with proportions like that every once in a blue moon, so I'm just looking for similar things in that style.
And now I know not to say recreation! :)
Thanks again
shanaduck
on 1/5/10 12:01 am - Lopatcong, NJ

Hi There,

I'm still pre-op, but I did lose 80 lbs a few years ago (gained it back, but that story is for another day).  Anyway, at that time I had a real job and wore suits every day.  I had a fairly expensive wardrobe, and did have a few things altered, but quickly discovered that altering jackets in particular is expensive and they never look quite right afterward.   Skirts were about the only thing that seemed worth the money to alter, but without the matching jacket...

I found that the smaller sizes are easier to find on sale in the "good" stores, and that I could replace clothes as cheaply as I could have them altered, without multiple trips to the tailor.

Hope that helps.  I feel your pain, there were a few things that I really loved, and was sad to give up, but being thinner made up for it!

Elizabeth

Surgery Weight  (1/25/10) 265 - Current Weight - 184 1/1/12 - Goal ????
Most Active
Recent Topics