dietician/liquid diet

footbone
on 12/15/09 9:10 am
I'm in my 3rd month of my 7 months of consults, testing, etc and I saw the dietician today. She gve me quite  lot of information. She told me about starting on a liquid diet before surgery and for a few days after, then the pureed, minced, etc.  It's rather frightening to me since it will be such a big adjustment. Is it really as bad as I think?
(deactivated member)
on 12/15/09 9:37 am - NJ
Hi

To be honest, I did not have to do a liquid diet prior to surgery.  I can imagine that it might be difficult but you will be so excited and ready for the surgery it won't be as hard as you might think.

After surgery you probably won't even notice you are on a liquid diet!  Most people have trouble getting enough liquid and protein in right after surgery as they dont even want to eat anything.

You will do fine & will get alot of support from the people on this board!!  Good Luck!

Vicki
Tom C.
on 12/15/09 8:15 pm, edited 12/17/09 10:47 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Footbone,

In all honesty, it wasn't hard for me. But again, we're all different. They way I looked at all these "stages" was: If it means getting me healthy and on the road to Thinville, then I can do it for however long I need to.

I felt, I've eaten enough food to last some countries a lifetime. A few days/weeks of "liquids/puree" isn't gonna kill me.

And again, it's only for a few days/weeks. It's not like you will be eating this way for the rest of your life.

Good luck, and know we're here for you !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/09 8:22 am - Bayonne, NJ
I didn't have to do the liquid diet prior to RNY, but did prior to my revision. It was nothing. After 2 days it was routine for me.

After RNY I was on liquids about 10 days, then started on pureed stuff. This time around I'm on liquids for 3 weeks, and after I see the surgeon on Jan. 8, he'll let me know if I can start the pureed stuff.

It's funny, I'm not hungry in the least, but I do miss texture. I also don't like sweet things and the protein shakes are all too sweet. I add 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder to my chocolate shakes to cut the sweetness.

Believe me when I tell you, it's all worth it.
Most Active
Recent Topics