Horizon BCBS HMO

tryingtogodown
on 12/10/09 1:35 am - South Plainfield, NJ
Oh yeah, I meant I am going to Dr. Bertha too!  So far, I am very impressed!

Thanks for the input and support!
(deactivated member)
on 12/10/09 1:48 am - NJ
They are really great!  I just want to say, and please don't take this the wrong way, but you will not be able to get a fill until 90 days AFTER your surgery.  That was super frustrating and it is a BCBS thing.  They won't pay for it until then.  

Not sure if they told you that, and it takes a good couple of weeks to get on the schedule for a fill.  Last I heard they were going to start doing them in-office instead of the hospital, but just so you know.  
tryingtogodown
on 12/10/09 3:27 am - South Plainfield, NJ
Thanks for that info!  And no, they didn't tell me that, but I have a question for you then........... if you know???

When you first have the band put on, before any fills............ it does make a smaller pouch out of your stomach, right?  Meaning, even though it is not filled, people still start loosing weight right?

Sorry, I'm still in the learning process.

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/09 8:12 am - NJ
It *technically* makes a smaller pouch.  I really didn't lost that much weight with the band (and had it out due to serious reflux issues), so I am probably not the best person to ask about that.  I just remember those first 90 days being tough and being pissed that I couldn't get a fill.

DJ
on 12/11/09 3:19 am - Parsippany, NJ
I am always surprised to see this question.. you would thnk by now every surgeon would know of the 6 month medically supervised diet requirement BCBS enforces.. and other if they aren't will as reform gets closer.
Even our member know this to be fact.
astounding..
tryingtogodown
on 12/11/09 4:01 am - South Plainfield, NJ
I don't know if I explained myself in my original post, but I was approved to have surgery with the same insurance WITH NO 6 MONTH WAIT.  I consulted with a surgeon and then because of multiple reasons I decided to look into a different surgeon.  One of the reasons was because I got a call that I was approved about 5 weeks after my 1st consult, and then the surgeon scheduled me for the next week.  This was after the Psych & nutritional eval and he said that it was not a problem that I did not have the tests done that he originally ordered (endoscopy, pulmonary clearance and cardiac clearance) and that was all after obviously I did not have the 6 month wait, so either he lied to the insurance company, or my insurance really does not require it.

Anyway......... I am now using a different Dr. and have to start all over, so that is why I decided to post the question......

DJ
on 12/11/09 4:38 am - Parsippany, NJ
right.. I am amazed at the original dr.. not you..
Good luck with Bertha.. they were my first choice till they messed up my insurance and wouldn't help me straighten it out.. I hear they have gotten better..
kward
on 12/15/09 11:45 am
Hi,
I have horizon BCBS ppo...I started the process in May...met Dr. Bertha..did the NUT and Psych the same day with Kingsley....did 4 out of the 6 month visits to the PPO...also went and met Dr. Garrison because I knew that the Band wasn't for me and I was hoping that either or both would do the VSG.

I went back to have a heart ot heart with Dr. Bertha and asked if insurance would ever cover him doing a VSG.  He was great!  Said NO...insurance would not cover..and he said that he did believe that VSG would be considered the Gold standard in weight loss surgery within a few years..(he did offer to do the surgery for about 30K for 1 night at morristown memorial)

I chose to self pay and go to Mexicali and Dr. Aceves.  It was a wonderful experience and I wouldn't change a thing.  24 lbs and 10"!

best of luck!
K

Kae B.
on 12/16/09 12:59 am
There are so many rules and regulations - I think I recall that if you do this as an outpatient there was no six month supervised requirement. The room - I was in it for maybe nine hours - cost about $10,000 if I recall correctly.
Most Active
Recent Topics