band questions

footbone
on 11/29/09 12:20 pm
My insurance requires me to wait 7 months before surgery for the band. I'm almost 2 months in and have already had most of my preop testing done. I'm not concerened with the physical issues of the surgery, but more the mental ones.  How do people generally feel mentally without being able to eat as much? I'm a little worried that I'll feel left out at bbq's and parties. My family and friends do a lot of eating when we all get together. I'm already in therapy, so my therapist can help me with day to day stuff, but I'm just worried about the special occaisons when there's a lot of food involved and I want to eat as much as everyone else.
jerseyjandj
on 11/29/09 12:37 pm - keyport, NJ
well i thought thanksgiving would be hard , but it wasnt mind you im a newbie and in the purree stage but i did have 2tbs turkey finely streaded w/ ff gravy and and 1tbs of mashed potatoes ..this is something that i want soo im not going to let bring me down ... best of luck

Krissy
on 11/30/09 10:39 am - Cranford, NJ
for me it was hard in the begining..i still wanted to eat when i couldnt physically eat. im italian...no one eats more than us!! lol holidays have been a lot easier over the years because everyone lives so far they all "chew & run"!  im done with 7 course dinners! LOL It takes time and patience to learn how to deal with the holidays nd eating. Now I try and indulge in conversation or keep busy plating games with the kids or helping out the host/ess. and of course I will always preach about my second family... my support group of wonderful friends. I wouldn be where I am today without them...and the funny thing...is on OH I havenr met half of them!!!

Good luck to you! keep us posted and just know... you have many a friend here ;)

enjoy your holidays!!
~Krissy

footbone
on 11/30/09 6:39 pm
Thanks! I def enjoyed Thanksgiving and will enjoy Christma, since these will be my last holidays that I can stuff myself. There are plenty of distractions in my family, the kids (not my own) and dogs are always runing aroud. I'll be getting more more nervous as my surgery gets closer.
Tom C.
on 12/1/09 12:03 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

IMHO it depends the type of person YOU are – will you tell everyone of your decision or keep it a secret.

From moment one, I have told EVERYONE about my operation. When I went to functions, people knew about my “eating" habits. It was mixed blessing. While no one was actually the “food police" – I did hear comments such as “I didn’t think you could eat that much". Some folks think you can only eat 1 or 2 bites, and be filled. They don’t realize you can eat “small portions" of food. However, I made sure my choices were the right ones FOR ME.

If you decide to keep your operation a secret, people may ask why you aren’t eating “like you once did". We have a whole list of ‘excuses’ you can use :D !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active
Recent Topics