HOW LONG IS RECOVER FOR RNY??

(deactivated member)
on 11/11/09 10:59 am
I am trying to prepare myself and just wanted to know how long anyone was out of work after their surgery?? I only have 2 wks paid vacation and thats all I was going to take off but everyone is telling me I should take off a mnth!??!!!?? So any suggestions? I am a dental assistant so I am always up an down and running all over the place
(deactivated member)
on 11/12/09 3:40 am - NJ
There is no "generic" answer.  For me, it took about 2 weeks till I was feeling 100%; BUT, I also had my lapband removed a month before I had RNY, so two major surgeries in a month can do that to you.

A month does sound a bit much.  You work in an office; it's not like you are doing hard labor outside or are a firefighter or something, yanno 

Some people are fine within a week.....it all depends on you.
Tom C.
on 11/13/09 1:50 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
IMHO - take two weeks. You need that much time to get accustomed to you new 'eating' routine.

The bottom line is (A) how much pain your in (B) what you do for a living (C) how much pain can you tolerate. Only you know the answer to these questions.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Barbi M.
on 11/13/09 8:43 am - Maplewood, NJ
I am on day 16 of my recovery from RNY.  I still have some pain if I lean too far over, or if I stretch too much.  I did have an umbilical hernia repaired during the surgery and that seems to be where most of my pain is.  However, I don't have a lot of energy.  Small tasks like putting dishes in the dishwasher, sweeping the floor are my big events then I have to sit down again.  I have a sedentary job, but it is difficult to move about on my leisure time (bathroom runs) so I opted to take 6 weeks.  I think it all depends on how your energy level is and what type of work you do.  I am getting in all my vitamins and proteins but only 400-500 calories a day.  I think that is the part that I needed the time.  Good luck to you. 
Barbi

Chopper1
on 11/13/09 8:04 pm

Within 3 days after RNY you shouldn't need any pain killers.  Work wise, I would say a week and a half to 2 weeks should do it.  I drove after 7 days.

Good luck with your surgery.

checkitout
on 11/14/09 12:46 am - Newton, NJ
I was out for two weeks. I wanted to go back after a week and a half but they would not let me since our office was moving locations.

I was fine with the two weeks, my daughter stayed home with me the second week so we played and went out shopping and stuff.

I was driving by Friday or Saturday and had surgery on Monday..  I think it depends on how you handle pain and how your body heals.

Good luck

Stella
(deactivated member)
on 11/14/09 3:54 am
well thanks alot for all the information I will keep everything in mind. This will be my first surgery ever ,I did have 2 children naturally and was back on my feet right after I had them so that is really the only thing I can refer back to on how well I tolerate pain!  But im going to assume this is going to be 10x worse then giving birth lol But I think I can handle it I just have to keep in mind that it will be all worth it in the long run! Again thank you everyone!!
big_ideas
on 11/14/09 3:56 am - Randolph, NJ
I took four weeks off, but I definitely could have gone back after two. I had surgery on Friday, a second surgery on Saturday to look for a leak, and was released on Tuesday just taking tylenol. By Sunday of that same week I was driving.

The pain was really not that bad, more like soreness than anything. The worst part for me was the fatigue. Even after I went back to work, I found I had to nap in the afternoons when I got home. But that might have been partially due to the two doses of anasthesia in 30 hours.

Most Active
Recent Topics