Empire BC/BS in NJ

willi928
on 11/9/09 12:23 pm - North Brunswick, NJ
RNY on 07/06/10 with
Hi all

Ok I'm sure this has been asked a million times over in all of the various rooms, but I'm way to sleepy to read even 1% lol.

I'm extremely anxious to have the surgery...I've contemplated having the surgery for about 7 years, but I would always say I'll do it on my own instead. Well after a bunch of up and down diets and exercising, I'm just ready to make it happen now!!! I want to see the best but least time-consuming process to get approval and have the surgery. I know the ups and downs of the results, including side effects, appetites, etc.

How do I get started right away? I just went to meet with my regular doc to get his blessing for me to have surgery. He will recommend a surgery but he didn't seem firm in giving a recommendation...

Here's my stats:

-Empire BC/BS
-Live in New Brunswick area
-Current BMI 45.7
-arthritis getting really bad, borderline everything else

Now here are my questions:

-Can anyone recommend an in-network surgeon in the New Brunswick area?
-Can someone walk me through the Empire process? How many doctors do you need to see? Did everyone do a 6month loss program with a nutritionist
/physical therapy?
         --I would like to avoid doing physical therapy because the copays X number of times a week
            sucks!
         --Looks like alot of people had their surgery in the 4th month...how is that possible?
-Stupid question --> Does Empire cover lipo after the weight loss?
-Any other recommendations?

thebetterme
on 11/10/09 12:18 am
Dr Sadek is at RWJUH new brunswick and i think he is in network. Not sure you need to do physical theraoty but nutrition is important. Also the liposuction depends covearge depends on your doccumentation of the complications from the excess skin.
Hope this helps and good luck
willi928
on 11/10/09 9:49 am - North Brunswick, NJ
RNY on 07/06/10 with
Thanks "thebetterme"! I have an appt with Dr. Sadek tomorrow morning...

He said it takes a "few" months so hopefully that means 3 months lol!
checkitout
on 11/10/09 9:47 am - Newton, NJ
I don't live in your area nor do I know of a Dr. in your area. I do know of a group that operates out of St. Peters' . Dr. Bertha and Dr. Abkin, they were great ! 

Good luck !

Stella
willi928
on 11/10/09 9:50 am - North Brunswick, NJ
RNY on 07/06/10 with
@ "checkitout" - They have some type of support group at St. Peters?
Tom C.
on 11/11/09 3:07 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
The Saint Peter's Support Group is open to EVERYONE. While many patients are Doctor Abkin/Bertha/Iannacci - any patient can come.

I had my operation at Saint Peters, by Dr Abkin. Great hospital, Great Doctor - couldn't have asked for anything better. 

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active
Recent Topics