Hello All

DanielOwens
on 11/2/09 2:59 pm
My name is Daniel and i am looking for information on dieting, excercise and weight loss surgery.

I am upwards of 400 pounds, have never really eaten healthy my whole life and I am finally deciding to do something about it.

I am 22, live in Hudson County, in college for writing and feel it is time to change a part of my life that has been a problem ever since I could remember.

I wont lie, I was very skeptical of coming onto a message board for this as people on the internet tend to be obnoxious and may only visit sites like this to mock and make fun.  I hope that is not the case here.

I currently do not have medical insurance so I dont really have an interest for surgery at the time.  I also believe I am not right for surgery yet.  Like I said, i have never really eaten healthy nor have I ever been a person to excercise and stick with it.  As a kid I was active of course, and I even hold a second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and I have been obese my whole life.  I think weight loss surgery could help, but at this point I just want to shed this overly big excess of weight I have and see if excercise and dieting can do the trick.

I want to start eating healthy and excercising ASAP.  I started this past friday, taking 45 minute walks once a day.  Its not much, but its a big difference from sitting on the couch playing video games and watching tv all day.

My big question which I hope people can help with is how does one eat healthy?  This may sound very stupid and I am embarassed to ask, but I have no idea how to go about this.  My regular diet consists of no breakfast, and maybe 2 large meals a day that consist of burgers and pastas.  I am aware that is not good, but I don't know what is correct to eat, how to tell if it is healthy and how I can go about starting a healthy diet.  Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I am an alright cook so any healthy recipes that are good tasting would also be appreciated.

Finally, I know walking helps but I feel that I could be doing more.  Any tips for small excercises to do?  I cant go out running or go to a gym, but I am looking for excercises that a person my size can handle. 

Again, thank you for reading this and any responses will be read and I will be most grateful. 
maryc543
on 11/3/09 1:07 am
If you click on    FORUMS  then go down to  WEIGHT LOSS RELATED  then scroll over to NON SURGICAL OPTIONS, you may meet folks doing it the same way you're trying to.  There's also an exercise forum, and a nutrition forum.  These might be good places to read for a while.  I'm wayyy older than you  (LOL) and had surgery, so much of what I know wouldn't be of any use to you.  I'm glad you've found OH, and hopefully, you will get good advice and information here. 
   Sometimes, the hardest part is realizing you need to chnage, and you've already done that!  Good Luck.  Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Tom C.
on 11/3/09 1:42 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Daniel,

Here is a link that Mary C spoke about   http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/non_postops/

You should be able to find folks who will help you. If not, send me a PM and I will try my best to guide you. I am a loooooot older then you, but I know where your coming from. I was there and not only have I walked in your shoes, but also in your pants (many of us here have)

Here is a good “eating" plan I had a lot of success with.

http://www.letsdolunch.com/

http://www.letsdolunch.com/boards/

Their philosophy is a lot like the one folks with weight loss surgery needs to follow. I still eat this way, but modified.

All the best to you!!  

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
DanielOwens
on 11/3/09 1:53 am
thank you very much for the replys and advice.  i will visit the post op board, seems like some people have the same questions i do.
big_ideas
on 11/3/09 7:41 am - Randolph, NJ
Daniel...

I congratulate you for making the decision to change your life and take charge of your health.

You have a great resource here, and I'm sure between this site and other nutritional sites you will get lots of great information and advice. In general, try to avoid things that are high in fat, sugar and salt. Fresh foods (stuff you can get that doesn't come with labels) tend to be more nutrient dense. And processed carbohydrates (white sugar, white flour, white potatoes, corn syrup, etc) are high in calorie, devoid of any real nutrition, spike your blood sugar, and turn very quickly to fat in your body.

My suggestion would be to document everything you try. What the diet was, how well you were able to follow it, what kind of exercise you did, and what your results were. Just in case you find yourself at the point where you consider surgery, it will be helpful to have a record of your efforts.

As a writing student, I think it would be an excellent exercise to journal. You can learn alot about yourself if you think hard enough about something to put it into words, and at some point you may really appreciate being able to read through your history and relive where you were. Maybe you can even write an article or a book!

I had surgery at 46, and my only regret is that I didn't do it earlier. But I had tried every which way to lose it over the years, and nothing worked, so it was my best (and last) option. Like you, I wanted to make sure I really exhausted every other way.

Best of luck to you. It will be hard work, but it will be worth it!

knailnhair
on 11/3/09 11:27 pm - Milford, NJ
Sorry to hijack....Linda how is your son??? We missed you last night!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

big_ideas
on 11/4/09 12:02 am - Randolph, NJ
Awww, Kimi. I'm so sorry I wasn't there. Hope it was great.

He's feeling better, but the pediatrician says she doesn't like the way his eyes are functioning. We have an appointment with a neurologist on Friday.

Thanks for checking!

knailnhair
on 11/4/09 12:10 am - Milford, NJ
Great!!! Glad you could get an appt soon!!! Please keep me posted!!!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

yex1
on 11/3/09 11:23 am - NJ
you should look in to a dietician. That way you have a medical record of your weight if you decide to have weight loss surgery. A few pointers, eat at least 3 meals and 2 snacks in a day. cut back on the pastas and add veggies. you could go to mypyramid.gov and create a plan based on age, weight, and physical activity.

"Nobody trips over mountains.  It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble.  Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain. "

"Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.  Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before."  ~Jacob A. Riis

Krissy
on 11/9/09 2:27 pm - Cranford, NJ
Hi Daniel!! well youve started in the right place! Everyone here that I have met is absolutly wonderful and helpful and always give lots of good advice!!

You will always hear me speak about support groups... you do not need to have had surgery to attend...but it is an awesome way to meet and speak with people who are going through similar instances. The information you can gather from them can be supurb!

My advice on trying to change your eating habits...baby steps... try for the first week to increase your non caffeinated beverages...dont even worry about how much to increase it...just increase it.. then week 2 increase it more..week 3 incorporate something else..when you go food shopping instead of buying white bread/pasta buy wheat... and mix them until you get used to the taste/texture...there is a lot you can do to change just dont try and do it all at once.

We are all here for you! lots of luck on your new beginning and keep us posted of your progress!!
~Krissy

Most Active
Recent Topics