Bipolar

CHYNALYZ
on 10/27/09 7:23 am
HEllo Everyone. I am new to this site and am simply wondering if anyone with bipolar disorder has disclosed this to the surgeon? Were you rejected? I am not certain I want to disclose this information if it means it will keep me from having the surgery. It's bad enough I have to deal with the insurance company.

But then on the other hand, if i have monthly visits with the shrink, the insurance company has a record of that and probably would deny me for not mentioning it on the authorization request.

UGGGGh dang if i do, dang if i dont.,..  Just wondering...
Tom C.
on 10/27/09 8:35 am, edited 10/27/09 9:56 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
My Doctor states that you need to be honest with the Doctor prior to the operation in order to be successful. He also states, he sees all sorts of patients with all sort of medical issues.

As long as it's control by medicine, and you are taking your medicine, then there should be no issue.

It would be the same if you had a heart condition, or high blood pressure, or any medically treatable issue.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
CHYNALYZ
on 10/27/09 12:07 pm
Thank you...
Irishcoda
on 10/27/09 9:16 pm
I'm bipolar and I told Dr. Greenbaum.  It was no biggie.  I told him I was worried that some of my meds didn't come in liquid form and the first few days you can't take anything by mouth.  He reassured me that I could get my meds through a feeding tube.  It all went smoothly.  You shouldn't get denied because of being bipolar, best wishes to you!

sherryanne410
on 10/27/09 11:31 pm - Toms River, NJ
Hello,
I have bipolar as well, and it is something to be mindful of, but NOT a reason for them to reject you unless you are not stable.  I have met with all my docs, therapist, and so forth and will continue with therapy afterwards. 
I am having my surgery today.  The only medication to concern yourself with would be the ones that are time released and that can be worked out too.
I hope the best for you, and please let me know what you choose to do.
Because of Him,
Sherryanne
Tom C.
on 10/28/09 1:50 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Sherryanne,

GOOD LUCK TODAY !! Come back soon .. I'll be saving you a seat on the loser's bench in the winner's circle !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
CHYNALYZ
on 10/28/09 12:10 am
Well I guess then I will list the meds and advise the surgeon when I go see him for the consult on Monday. BTW, best of luck on your surgery today....  Thank you everyone for responding....
maryc543
on 10/30/09 5:54 am
Several other people have told their surgeons and not been denied, so my advice is TELL!  You will need his assistance, as well as your prescribing Doc, to regulate your meds.  Depending on the type of WLS you are having, there may be malabsorption issues, and you made need frequent dosage re-adjustments, until you find what works for you.  Please see the "(ahem) Big Picture.....   it's better to have them on your side, helping you through a transition, them have them guessing whats going on!    Good Luck!  Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

snedly318
on 11/1/09 1:33 pm - Mine Hill, NJ
Tell your doctor. 

I had RNY in 2004 and wasn't yet diagnosed, was actually stable then.  Over two years later, while in crisis, I was diagnosed with BiPolar Disorder which then began a VERY long journey to recovery, finding the right medications and a period of significant weight gain. 

I am having a revision on 11/24.  I told my doctor about the Bipolar and he was very understanding.  They need to know anyway to avoid serious medication interactions and therefore need to know EVERY medication you are on.  Plus your psychiatrist needs to be aware that RNY patient (if that is your surgery) cannot have extended release medications because they move too quickly in the bowel to be absorbed, so dose adjustments are needed.

If your Dr. isn't understanding, find another.  As long as you are stable and pass your psych eval or have the support of your psychiatrist their is no reason related to your BPD that should prevent you from moving forward. 

Blessings!
Karen
Snedly318
kellyanne
on 1/6/10 3:26 am - Lumberton, NJ

You have to tell your surgeon.  A friend of mine who has Bipolar who considered WLS was told she should have a band procedure so that she didn't have to worry about absorption issues with her medications.  She successfully has the band procedure and has had no diffculty with her meds.

It is just not a good idea not to diclose such an important part of your medical history to a surgeon who is going to give you a life changing surgery.  They are not saying no to be mean or to make your life difficult.  When they say no, its in your best interest. 

Most Active
Recent Topics