Cross your fingers... my paperwork is pending

shanaduck
on 10/15/09 3:22 am - Lopatcong, NJ
Although Dr. Bertha's office staff told me that my insurance company has a 6-month physician-supervised weight-loss wait, my insurance company  claims they don't have one.  I guess we'll find out, because although I'm still only 4 months into the 6-month thing, my tests are all completed, and my paperwork was sent to the insurance company for approval yesterday.

I still am thinking about a January surgery date and here's why...

We're going camping on the Dry Tortugas the week before Thanksgiving - it's a National Park asseccible only by boat or plane 70 miles off the coast of Key West.  No potable or running water, nothing but sand, the Gulf of Mexico, a falling-down fort and a couple of park rangers.  Somehow, I don't think it would be a good idea to have the surgery say, 10/30, then go somewhere that remote on 11/20.  Getting there (plane to Miami, drive to Key West, ferry to the Tortugas) is kind of a pain even when you don't have any special needs.  Worth it when you wake up to aqua water and palm trees, but still.

Similarly, we're going birding in the Rio Grande Valley the week between Xmas and New Years - I'd be interested in everyone's comments about that - we're leaving 12/25.  What if I had the surgery on 11//30?  Would I be ready by 12/25 to handle a flight to San Antonio, a 3 hour drive, then 9 days of birdwatching and hiking (nothing too strenuous) in remote areas of Texas?  There's a local border hospital within 15 minutes from our inn, and at least we won't be camping, but the nearest major medical center would be hundreds of miles away if something went wrong and on most days, we see only park rangers and / or border patrol (and other bird nerds and beak geeks).  I think it might be too risky, or am I worrying too much?  I;m torn between wanting to enjoy the vacation as my old self or as having just started a new life.  Comments?

I'm posting this in both PA and NJ, being a border babe...

Surgery Weight  (1/25/10) 265 - Current Weight - 184 1/1/12 - Goal ????
Tom C.
on 10/15/09 4:22 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Shanaduck,

I firmly believe the day you have your surgery is the day you're suppose to have it - so if January is when you want it, then go for it !!

ALS is a great group, and Dr Bertha is top notch. So you should have nothing to worry about.

Keep us posted how things go. BEST OF LUCK !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Krissy
on 10/15/09 9:52 am - Cranford, NJ
border babe.... ;)

i agree with youon waiting until january..i dont think you want to start your new life putting yourself in that position...you named them all yourself... you want to be able to concentrate on you... your the important one! you need time to heal and adjust. then at least you wont have to worry everyday if your ok and are over doing it.

you can take this extra time to learn more, get prepared for your surgery, maybe attend a support group or 2 ;) maybe even plan your next journey to go on after you are all healed!!

blow a kiss to Key West for me!! I love that place!
~Krissy

wife2denizmoi
on 10/16/09 1:50 am
I have to agree. Wait until January! All though I think in either case you would be fine, there are other factors in play here. You will not have all the comforts of home around you and that can effect your recovery.  Also, right after surgery, I was tired a lot. I could do almost anything, but wore out easily.

Enjoy your vacations with your family and then take on the surgery for yourself. Its really not a bad recovery, but again, I was at home in  my nice warm bed, padding around the house in comfy clothes and heating up soup in the microwave whenever I wanted!

Good luck and have a great time on your trips!

Heidi
Most Active
Recent Topics