Looking for your comments, opinions, etc

GinaMC
on 10/13/09 8:36 am - Spring Lake, NJ
Hi Folks..

I am very new to the site...my 1st post...but I have been researching lapband surgery for awhile now. Being overweight has been a struggle my entire life just like you guys. Ive done it all...Weigh****chers, Atkins, gyms, trainers (I could go on) and just cant seem to keep the weight off. I'm 32 and still get called fat. Yes, by people my own age. So mature. I've also suffered with depression since high school. Frankly I've had enough. I just wish I could be healthy enough to exercise without feeling like Im going to pass out. I'm ready to make the change.

Here's where my concern is. I am 5'4 and 207lbs. I am obese. I know to be considered for the lapband you have to have a BMI of 35 or higher. Mine is 35.5. Is that enough? I want this desperately but I am afraid drs will tell me I'm not qualified. I'd love to hear your input.

Thanks for listening!!!
mego5dzgrc
on 10/13/09 11:35 am - Philadelphia, PA
It really depends...

Most insurance companies will require you to have 2 or more comorbidities(diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease...) along with your BMI to be consitered for surgery.  Yu best plan is to talk to your doctor and see if they think you are a good canidate for the surgery.   Then contact your insurance plan to see what their exact requirements are.

Good luck!
3grlsmom
on 10/13/09 11:46 am
 Hi from Marlboro.  I had no co morbitities at all.  I as 5'5 and 240 lbs. and did NOT qualify and was self pay......the best money I have EVER spent!!  Good luck ~  
Karen in NJ 

GinaMC
on 10/14/09 4:28 am - Spring Lake, NJ
I do have sleep apnea and high cholestrol and a history of heart disease and diabetes in the family....not sure if that matters.

If I have to, I will pay for it myself. ANd I bet it'll be the best money I ever spent to! How much did it cost you 3glsmom, if you dont mind me asking?

But I was really talking about qualifing for the procedure itself. I had a feeling my insurance wouldnt cover me. I was wondering if a surgeon would do the procedure because my BMI is so low. I mean technically I should be accepted since its .5 over what they want  but I was thinking a dr would say I was still too low on the spectrum.
Tom C.
on 10/14/09 8:56 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
Gina,

Having your BMI and your co-morbidity should be enough, but speak to the Doctor to make sure. Remember, your initial weigh in is what the insurance companies want to see, so don't be too upset if you fall below the 35 during your journey.

The average cost for a band operation is about $15,000 and for bypass $25,000 - because of the two day stay in the hospital.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Good luck on your journey

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Krissy
on 10/14/09 10:40 pm - Cranford, NJ

while i cant say anymore on the subject since everyone did such an awesome job in responding to you!... did you go for your consult yet? 

keep us posted on your progress!! your information is valuable...there are lots of people who just read this board and do not post so please keep us updated ;)

~Krissy

Most Active
Recent Topics