RNY recovery

Barbi M.
on 10/6/09 12:14 am - Maplewood, NJ
I have my RNY surgery scheduled for 10/28 and was getting ready to send my HR request for short term disability forms.  I of course would love to be off work 6-8 weeks, but wanted to see how long some of you actually had.  I have a sedentary job, but am not able to get up and use the restroom, or take breaks unless they are scheduled ( I work on a consumer affairs hotline).  Dr Garrison is my surgeon. 

Barbi
Bama Beach Girl
on 10/6/09 1:21 am - some where, AL
hi  barbie, i took off 3 weeks but could have gone back in 2.. i teach school.... good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Life is a Beach
on 10/6/09 8:07 am
I think eating the meals or having the drinks at the appropriate times will be the hardest when going back to work soon after the surgery.  Is that true?
 "I may not be moving fast or gracefully, but at least I'm moving!"            
mystic
on 10/6/09 11:36 am - manchester, NJ
good luck with your surgery barbi

i went back after 4 weeks, could have gone after 3 i think.  however, i was
able to break whenever i needed to.  so if you can get a little extra time i would
go for it

hugs, be safe and well, jacki

big_ideas
on 10/7/09 12:51 am - Randolph, NJ
I took about 3 weeks, but I only worked 8:30 to 3:00. I found I was not so much in pain or limited in motion, but very tired. I often came home and napped until about 8 weeks. Can you do a part-time transition period?

Paul S.
on 10/8/09 5:52 am - Hillsborough, NJ
I planned to go back in 2 weeks but changed to 3 due to "Stitch Pain" issues. Glad I took the extra week though.
Paul
The road to success is always under construction.
Krissy
on 10/8/09 10:54 pm - Cranford, NJ
Hi Barbi,

RNY was my very first surgery in my life, I didnt know what to expect so I did take a full 6 weeks..

I am a cosmetologist so holding my arms up for cutting was an issue but to sit and do nails/facials was much easier.. i did start back to wrok after 4 weeks (no hair) part time and worked my way up.

I do know people that went back to work after 3 days..sedentary job..so I guess its what you can handle.

Good luck to you!
~Krissy

checkitout
on 10/13/09 11:15 am - Newton, NJ
I had surgery on Monday and went back two Monday's later so I was out 10 business days but 14 calendar days.

I could have went back sooner but they looked at me like I was nuts when I asked to go back at my 10 day follow up appt.  so I took the extra few days. I too have a sedentary job, I was going nuts being at home. 

Good luck with your upcoming date.

Stella
StaceyNJ
on 10/13/09 2:49 pm - Brick, NJ
I took 6 weeks off...

Stacey

Most Active
Recent Topics