I thought I was happy...

Krissy
on 9/22/09 1:06 am - Cranford, NJ
ok...well at least really bummed out right now..... I have been morbidly obese my entire adult life. I have always tried to give back..pay it forward...so to speak. Helping others helps me and it reminds me of where I was. 

I have been successful at my choice to have wls 7 years ago.  I do indulge, my weight fluctuates, I battle with anemia, I havent finished all my plastics so I still sruggle with the mirror, I hate exercise (but im pro sexercise lol ). Just like everyone else who has wls, we know we have to make conscious choices every day of what we put in our mouth. It is a daily, minute by minute struggle. For the first time in my life I finally understand when a thin person says "I cant lose those last 10 lbs!"

So why are peole jealous and hate me!? Yes... hate me...well really not hate me to my face..but hate me behind my back..

~Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.   (St. Francis of Assisi) ~
~Krissy

Tom C.
on 9/22/09 2:05 am, edited 9/22/09 2:53 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Those who hate you are either those who don't know you or haven't walked in your shoes (let alone your pants)

Don't let those folks get to you. Know there are folks here (like myself) who admire what you have done and continue to do.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
wife2denizmoi
on 9/22/09 3:33 am
Hi Krissy,

Sounds like you may have hit someone else's green wall of jealousy! Its terrible that people have to feel that way instead of just being happy for you.  Congrats on your weightloss, and continued success.

-Heidi
AndreaC
on 9/22/09 4:09 am - NJ
Hi Krissy,

This sounds SO familiar. I have a small but loyal group of girl friends. We used to go out for lunch a couple of times a month, at least for birthdays, etc.  Since I had my RNY 04/30/09, I have NOT been invited along with the or any individuals from the group. Yeah, I could pick up the phone and make the arrangements myself. However, it feels weird to walk into the local diner with my husband or another friend and see the 'group' there.

I guess my weight loss frightens them, one in particular who is grossly morbidly obese. Jealousy, I guess that's what it is. 

I love the gym, joined my local Y and enjoy being there. I have met new people and developed a peripheral friendship into something a lot more satisfying from a female friendship point. I don't need draining relationships, I need support just like everyone else.

Why are they jealous? They want what you have. It's easier for them to just be '*****y' to us.

Sad.  Hope you find some new outlet. I'm not far, just in Springfield.

Good luck,
Andrea
Karen B.
on 9/22/09 5:20 am - Lawrenceville, NJ
Sometimes the friends we make when we are obese may not be the healthiest of people. 

Once we have weight loss surgery (or just go on a diet successfully - not that that ever lasted, mind you!), our friends don't know how to respond to us, or how we will respond to them.  If eating was a large part of the relationship, that changes.  Even if you don't care what they eat, THEY think you do - because they certainly care about what and how much you are or are not eating.

I'm in a 12 step program and for years I kept a group of people around me with whom I shared meals at events.  The reason I did this was that I found a group of people who didn't care what I was eating - they were focused on what they were eating.  No one commented on choices or amounts - it made mealtime pleasurable.

It may be time to start cultivating new friendships - some of the older ones may return in time as your weight stabilizes and your new lifestyle becomes more permanent; maybe not.  But fostering new, healthy relationships is your best bet.
 So far, so good.

Livewell
on 9/25/09 9:29 pm - Chatham, NJ
Krissy,

I know how you feel.  It's not really "hate", but jealousy.  The funny thing is that the very people who make comments are the ones who have been fairly thin for most of their lives.  It just happens to be that now I am thinner (as you probably are) than all of them now.  However, I would trade my current size for having had their existing sizes if that meant that I would never have gotten so out of control in the first place.  Unfortunately, they just don't get it.

Krissy
on 9/26/09 1:39 pm - Cranford, NJ
Thank you all for the love and support...im feeling it!!

However these friends of mine have had wls! lost a substantial amount of weight, had full body makeovers (which i still need to finish) ok they gained some of it back but they look absolutley amazing...i guess sometimes we forget where we came from!
~Krissy

Most Active
Recent Topics