Newbie lookinf for some encouragement

thepose2003
on 8/22/09 4:33 am - NJ
Hi i go by my address thepose, I joined this site after attending a seminar in New Jersey (St. Peter's Hospital. I'm looking for some help designing my page (not in  hurry for that), some friends to chat or email with and most importanly some direction on finding a good surgeon who's serious about his patients and follows through with aftercare. I have a friend who had the rny surgery and her doctor skipped out on her after the surgery was complete becaue of her complications (dont want that to happen to me). I live in New Brunswick New Jersey and can't decide who's a good doctor and who's not. What I do know is that there are so many and word of mouth is the best I guess. So if someone can help out with some suggestions and  doesn't mind a pain in the @@@ (smile) to chat with write me or respond to this post. Have  nice day.
allformykids
on 8/22/09 1:07 pm
Hi! I just posted to your main board post, but I'll do so here too :)
I'm from North West NJ, I am going to be using St. Clare's Hospital and Dr. Garrison. He did a close family memeber of mine's and she did great with him. He was/is wonderful, remebered her case 100%, does great follow up care and even 2 years after her operation (and her skipping lots of follow up apts) he heard her voice in the hospital and asked who is in that room and why because she was one of his too!!! How cool, after all that time he knew it was her and he was able to help her out too! He is great :)
Have you picked between RNY or Band? I'm going the RNY path, the band worries me for so many silly reasons :)
Anyway, good luck!!! Keep us updated on your success
thepose2003
on 8/22/09 10:38 pm - NJ
thank you again,

i don't know how this site works so i figured i post here too just in case the other post does not reach you. I'm central jersey, that doc you described is the kind i' m looking for. I decided on band but the rny would probably do me better. I'm just scared as heck. You say the band scares you if you don't mind would you share the reasons with me. I just wanna weigh all my options. stay in touch

thepose
allformykids
on 8/23/09 12:23 pm
I dont like the idea of having a "band" in my for the rest of my life. I understand that with RNY I will have stapels in me, but some reason the band with a port in my side grosses me out and is kind of freaky... They passed the bands around at the seminar i went to, they seemed so big to have in my body!
I also hate the idea of the port. I have two kids and don't want to feel something inside of me when they jump on my lap, or when I wear tight clothing. ICK.
The four people I know all had bypass, they lost all the weight and look great, the weight has stayed off and three of the people had it over 15 years ago!
I also could cheat the band, milk shakes, so forth. I need to bypass and not absorb some of what I eat, that is why it works so well... not only is the stomach smaller, but you don't absorb what you in take so well. Now this can be an issue if you forget or dont take a vitimin every day. The band is a safer surgery by .5%, how ever they are starting to say that down the road the band is not as safe as it is a a large object that the body can try to reject.
Good luck :) Let us know what Dr. you pick and if you stay witht he band or swap out to the bypass...

Oh I did meet dr. Bertha at my seminar. I liked him and he seemed very nice. I liked Dr. Garrisons laid back personality tho and the fact that he knew what he was talking about, but joked around and was not all buissness... he was a person. Bertha was too serious for me. Im scared to death, I need someone to laugh with me so I stay clam :)
julittlegirl913
on 8/22/09 1:49 pm
Hi I had my surgery done by Dr. Bertha. He is located in Florham Park, someone I know referred me to him. He is wonderful and has a great staff...
His office number is 973-410-9700
I am new to OH, so i also need some help organizing my page....
Good luck and keep me posted.
Tom C.
on 8/22/09 9:46 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
I also recommend Doctor Bertha, the group he's associated with (Advanced Laparoscopic Surgeons). Doctors Bertha, Abkin and Iannance are great. The Doctors were named the best Doctors for two years in a row - and I hear they made it again this year.

Here is their site: http://www.alsbariatricsurgery.com/

And here is the Best Doctor Site (which also lists other surgeons) http://njmonthly.com/articles/topdoctors/surgery.html

For a complete list in NJ, go to

Bariatric Doctors   
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/NJ/a,doclisting/type,46/

Once a Doctor is decided, you will need a Psych eval and see a Nutritionists. This may help:

Psychiatrists           http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/NJ/a,list/type,35/

Psychologists         http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/NJ/a,list/type,2/

Nutritionists:            http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/NJ/a,list/type,1/

I also strongly go to support groups and ask those in attendance who they used. Here is a list for the ones in the NJ area

Support Group       
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/NJ/3961922/NJ-Support-Grou p-listing-As-of-June-2009/

Finally, your insurance company will also be a factor where you can and can't go. FYI - just because your Doctor may not be in your plan, ask how the Doctor how they deal with "out of network" benefits. Some Doctors just take what the insurance companies give them, and don't back bill the patient.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
thepose2003
on 8/22/09 10:33 pm - NJ
Hey Tcasola,

Wow you are a big help, you've provided me with a lot. I went to a seminar at St Peter's where that team of docs were. I admit that Dr. Abkins was very impressive. I just don't want a doc who doesn't follow through with or up with their pt. Anyways Im new to the site and may need your help with designing my page i don't have friedns added yet but need some. thank you again and i hope u get this.

thepose
Tom C.
on 8/24/09 5:58 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
No matter which Doctor you choose from ALS (Advance Laproscopic Surgeons - http://www.alsbariatricsurgery.com/ ), you will have the best follow-up care. Unlike other Doctors, these Doctors are with you FOR LIFE !! They really care about each and every patient. That's why many patients have friends and family go there. 

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
thepose2003
on 8/22/09 10:44 pm - NJ
Hey juttilegirl,

I'm not sure if i thanked you already, so u might get two posts. How long ago did u have surgery? What was it? Is the follow up with your team consistent what i mean by that is do they see you when needed and continue to guide you along? Do they give you a diet to follow, list of exercise to do or do they refer someone to help you along with their journey. Do u have any friends yet on your page? If you want you can add me.
julittlegirl913
on 8/23/09 12:11 pm
Hi. The staff like i said, they are wonderful, and the docs are extremely nice. I had my surgery july 13, 09. it was RNY. I have not had any complications whatsoever. I feel greaaattttt.
I have stalled for 3 weeks though but they said it's normal, and that i will start to lose again, which of course i can't wait. I am so afraid of the scale right now...
And if you go to their pre op class, they will give you a .. kind of booklet that they put togethr with nutricionists. It's very helpful. After my surgery I went to my NUT, and I know from that booklet what i'm supposed to be eating now, and then I'll just start adding healthy food, try in getting some recipes from other people that also had this type of surgery. Basically that's it... vitamins, proteins, fluids.. etc..and of course exercise. Which reminds me i need to get better in that.
And of course if you need to speak to the doctors, they are very helpful.
I am a newbie, but anything you need I'll try to help with the info. that I know....
Most Active
Recent Topics