I'm new to this all

allformykids
on 8/7/09 1:57 pm
Hi every, I'm new here. I know many people (mostly family) who have gastric bypass and they are so very happy. I want to have it done. I'm so stressed out over insurance allowing it. I do not have the spare money to pay for it myself. That being said I did talk to Cigna today, as well as the Dr's office I would like to use. I just learned that my LDL is high, but not overly high, and I'm right at the boarder line for the weight/bmi.
My question (sorry it took so long to get to it) does anyone here have Cigna? how were they to deal with on this? I've read horror stories on line, but I've already been told that as long as I have all my ducks in a row I'm ok... Is this just a dream or do you think I'll be able to get them to approve this?
Tom C.
on 8/8/09 1:04 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I don't have Cigna, but my girlfriend did. Depending WHO is your Doctor. Some are covered 100% by Cigna, others partially, and still others aren't. But if the Doctor you like doesn't accept Cigna, ask how they cover "out of network benefits". Some Doctor's just accept what the insurance companies give them, and don't "back bill" the patient.

With Cigna, you will have to do the 6 month supervised diet. However, if you've have already been seeing your Doctor, depending how well they keep notes, you may not need to. If you do need to see a Doctor for 6 months, take my advice. Make your Doctor's appointment the 1st week of each month. This way, if there is a cancellation (either by you or the Doctor) then you still have the full month to reschedule. If you miss a month, you need to begin ALL over. That would suck, especially if you're heading into Month 4 (or more).

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
allformykids
on 8/8/09 1:06 pm
OMG, thank you for the advise on making apts for the start of a month... I never would have thought of that, infact I was thinking they would go from a month of the prior date of the apt, but knowing them, and how ins companies want to not pay for things it would be a loop for them!
Thank you. I am going to a seminar Wed in Mt. Olive for St. Clare's and getting the packet of papers from dr Garrison (he did someone's i know and they loved him). His office said that they have a form in the folder for your dr to follow on filling out the 6 month diet plan. They said it helps with dealing wiht Cigna and getting things OK'd by them.
I am so nervous about them telling me no and having to start all over again. I want to do this so badly, I dont understand why they would rather deal with a high LDL, bad knees and back pain than this, but only time will tell with them...
Tom C.
on 8/9/09 5:50 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I may be there. If so, stop by and say hello,
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active
Recent Topics