hair loss and protein Please help

luvmyschnauzers
on 10/30/09 5:42 am
It is 4 weeks until my lap band surgery. I have attended the support group at St. Barbabas Ambulatory Care Center.  Gwen the R.N and Carla the registered dietician are excellent and may have some suggestions for you.

The hair loss discussion did come up and many of the participants suggested that in addition to the protein shakes, you buy an unflavored protein mix sold by GNC.  I have not researched the label, but the point was that you could mix this into soups, sugar free puddings etc. to increase your protein intake.  As with anything, do your research and ask your doctor.  There is a high protein shake sold by Trader Joe's.  I have been told that I should have 70 grams of protein per day.   Best of luck.
Tom C.
on 11/1/09 9:14 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Hair loss is normal, especially in the beginning.

From the research I did, hair loss normally occurs - especially in the beginning. It's because (A) the shock to the system, (B) our “new eating habits" (C) the reduction in protein.

Since you're not "eating" enough, you may experience hair loss (so make sure you keep up on your protein) Once you're able to "eat normally" (6 - 8 months) you hair loss should diminish.

Many mention
adding Biotin to your daily vitamins it will help with the hair loss, but this doesn't always work for others. I would suggest speaking to your Doctor, Nutritionists, and some on-line research.

Being bald, I haven't seen a difference :D !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
big_ideas
on 11/2/09 5:11 am - Randolph, NJ
I shed a ton of hair at about the same point. I do take biotin in a b-complex along with my daily multi, also a sublingual b-12.

It was very disconcerting to see all that hair in the drain, brush and on the floor. I felt like I'd been through chemo or something. Luckily, my hair is thick and wavy, so no one knew but me.

The good news is, it stopped. I have had a couple of bouts of loss since then, but nothing that heavy.

I know some people also use Nioxin products as well as the supplements, and of course protein is important for many reasons. But it doesn't always make a difference; unfortunately you may just have to ride it out.

Congratulations on your amazing success so far. Hang in there!

Most Active
Recent Topics