hair loss and protein Please help

thinkingthin68
on 8/6/09 10:43 pm - South Amboy, NJ
Good Morning everyone,
How is everyone doing? I have some questions and hope that you all can help.   I am 3 months 2 weeks post-op , lost 82 pounds and I'm losing my hair bad, I know you lose some but I am losing alot. I had long blonde healthy hair. I started taking 1000mg of Biotin from the begining hoping this wouldn't happen.I was doing bad with protein in the begining but for about a month now I have been drinking 3 shakes a day and I try and eat once a day sometimes twice,food and I just dont work nomore. Should I add another shake?  How much protein should a shake have? How much protein does our body consume from one shake or a piece of meat or fish? I went and had my 3 month blood work done last week so I am waiting for those results. Any suggestions? Any kind of shampoo or more vitamins I can take? I love my hair ,its been the best thing on me ,I cry when I shower cause I know when I get out I have to brush my hair. Thank You for any suggestions and help you can give me.....Also does it grow back fast or slow and should I cut it shorter? thanks so so so much .........Have a great weekend !!!!!!!

Denise   sw/308   cw/208  gw/145

Lisa_67
on 8/6/09 11:03 pm - Ravenna, OH
First, let me congratulate you on doing so well. 82 pounds is amazing. You go girl..

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I have been taking 5000 mcg of Biotin for a month now, plus 50 mg of Iron. At one of my support groups, it was suggested that we start before surgery, and continue after. Also, we were told about a couple protein shampoos. Paul Mitchell has a really good one. If you call a salon, they may be able to help you with a good Protein shampoo and conditioner. It won't stop the hair loss completely, but it may help. I know how you feel about your hair. It's the only thing I like about myself right now. I have long blond hair and I love it...I know I'm going to lose some too, but I know in time it will come back healthier than ever! Good luck honey...
      starting weight...307 Surgery weight..274 Onederland...198 (3/6/10)
 I lost 33 pounds before surgery. My new life has finally began

Chopper1
on 8/9/09 4:22 am
Congrats, you are doing great.

I am pre-surgery too, 3 more weeks.

I have been also taking Biotin 5000 mcg for about a month and a half.

Don't sweat it, it will grow back.  I saw a girl in my support group that lost  A LOT of hair and a month layer it was growing back pretty good.

Good luck, I would also check with your doctor or nuitriounist
Ladysweetthang
on 8/10/09 7:28 am - NJ
You need to try to eat more ..Try small meals 3 times aday or something of protein ...protein drinks are ok but they shouldn't be where you get the majority of your nutrition from...Plusalotof those drinksare loaded with carbs..You can drink your protein but you need food Most of hair loss is inevitable..but,might may help to up your biotin..It will grow back once your body stabalizes..

Watch Hot Momma Drop it Like it's Hot..

isis170
on 8/10/09 2:51 pm - West New York, NJ
Hello, First let me say Congrats on the weight loss...that's Awsome!  I went through hair loss and was miserable!  I couldn't believe I was going to be skinny and bald!  I had surgery 2 years ago and I went through periods of hair loss especially after a fill.  Everyone kept telling me make sure you take the vitamins but the regular chewable multivitamin was not helping me at all.  I take a Multivitamin you can buy at walgreens for about $27. It's called Optisource, it's for post Bariatric patients.  This vitamin is very helpful and helps meet many of the vitamin deficiencies you may have. Good luck!  I know its frustrating but it will grow back.

Sincerely,
Isis
XOXOXO
on 8/13/09 12:25 pm
allformykids
on 8/13/09 12:37 pm
take prenatial vits... I know it sounds crazy, but lots of the women I know that had wls did and tho they lost some hair for a short bit, it wasn't so bad...
cookwithme
on 8/13/09 1:15 pm - Howell, NJ
Hi, I am in NJ also, Freehold to be exact.  I would love to chat with someone who has gone through this.  I am 15 weeks out and lost 90.  My e-mail is [email protected] if  your interested in chatting.  Thanks.
reillye
on 8/20/09 6:34 am
Sorry for the late reply.  I am .... 1 1/2 yrs post op.  I started losing hair at 4 months, and kept losing it for another 6 months - untill 10 months post op.  I was freaking out.  Luckily I had a lot of hair to begin with, so in never looked thin to anyone else, but I probably lost half the hair in my head.  I could actually start using clips in my hair - before they wouldn't fit - now they do.  I just stayed up with my protein and hoped it would stop.  It did.  Now 20 months out, My longish hair looks like it has 2 layers - the long stuff, and shorter stuff that grew back.  It all grew back - but of course with long hair it takes a long time for it to catch up.  I have a bunch of what looks like really long bangs, all around.  My hairdresser has been working with me to make it look good.  Another few inches, and I'll just go to long layers all around.

Your body can only handle like 30 oz of protein at a time -- 2 shakes and 3 meals is enough.  (It should be 3 meals and 2 shakes!!) so I wouldn't add more.  Adding more protein didn't seem to stop my hair loss.  Maybe it did - I had 3 meals and 1 shake a day.

Good luck to you!
EIleen
swarkala
on 8/27/09 6:21 am
It may not be protein that is the problem...rather B12!  I was reading the Q&A column by Dr. Peter H. Gott, Family Doctor in the paper the other day.  A woman wrote in a question about hair loss (unrelated to WLS) and his response was interesting.  He mentioned that B12 deficiency was a cause of hair loss and recommended that the woman have her physician test for this deficiency. 

I thought this was interesting for folks who have had RNY because of our malabsorption issues with B12.   Would be interesting to hear how your blood work results come in and if you have a B12 deficiency.  I had RNY in June 2003 and lost 140 lbs in a little over a year.  Never had issues with hair loss even early on, but my surgeon did put me on a B12 supplement about 6 months out and I've stayed on it ever since.

Hope this helps!

Most Active
Recent Topics