North NJ Newbie with questions - Choosing a doctor

Considering_It
on 7/7/09 10:42 am
I have considered WLS for years, but kept chickening out.  I am now comfortable (or at least as comfortable as I can be with the idea) with the Realize Band.  I should probably change my OH nick to "Going For It". LOL

I am now in the process of going to seminars of a few doctors I am interested in.  I had gone to a seminar in Mahwah last summer,  and decided that was not the practice for me.  I am currently considering Nusbaum and/or Abkin, and want to know from their patients if the  doctors & office staff are as friendly, competent, and supportive after you've signed on for surgery and/or while you're an active patient.  I'd like to know the good and bad, and if anyone wants to contact me privately, feel free to do so. 

I realize that these seminars are a  sales pitches, and I want to make sure that the doctor/office I go with treats their patients with respect, compassion, and  concern even after they've "sealed the deal".  

Because I'm going to depend on these people for everything related to my surgery approval and wellbeing before and after, I want to try to get as much info as I can.

Many thanks :)
StaceyNJ
on 7/7/09 12:02 pm - Brick, NJ
Dr Abkin and Bertha 's office are awesome! As Tommy says Dr B and A are right and left hand - both outstanding.

They were voted Top Bariatric Docs in NJ I believe for 2007 and 2008 - they have wonderful bedside manner - a great staff -  They are all about the after care - actually Dr B said to me if you can not committ to life with maintaining after there is not a surgery for you - they are truly the program for life - you see them on a steady/scheduled basis and they also keep track of your labs. They are frank and right to the point - pulling no punches - they do not sugar coat anything - I did not feel pressured to have one surgery over the other - they are a phenomenal group and I highly recommend them - you will find many Im sure on here that will chime in and agree - they are 2nd to none!  #1

Stacey

hockeymom8016
on 7/7/09 9:01 pm, edited 7/7/09 9:02 pm - NJ
My PCP told me to do whatever it took to use Dr. Bertha and he was right. Not only is their program comprehensive but the after care is great too.  The people who handle the insurance know what to do to get you approved. The girl who submitted me for insurance called me at 7:00 PM to go over my file before she submitted it. I love Dr. B and also liked Dr. A when I met them. Everyone I talked to in the medical field had heard of their excellent reputation which is well deserved in my opinion. I do not have a single complaint. The first time I went to their office I had to wait an extremely long time before I was seen but after having Dr. Bertha perform emergency surgery on me in the middle of the night I now understand how that can happen.

frogger528
on 7/7/09 9:28 pm
I also recommend Dr. Abkin and Bertha. I love their office. They are both very knowledgeable and approachable with questions. When issues arise they respond to you in a very timely manner. I have nothing but good to say about this office at all. You will be making a very wise choice to use them.

Tom C.
on 7/7/09 10:23 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

More from the Abkin/Bertha band wagon !! And don’t forget Doctor Iannace, their new partner.  I did close to 5 years of research, and Doctors A & B were always considered the best. I highly recommend them, and I don’t think you will be dissatisfied. Doctor Nusbaum is also a fine surgeon. So is Doctor Gritsus.

Here is a list that may help you decide.

Surgeons                
http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeons+in+new+jersey.html  - When you locate the Doctor, click on the name and see their stats. Click the REVIEW tap to see what their patients had to say. I would recommend contacting the patients for an in-depth view.

Psychiatrists           http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/NJ/a,list/type,35/

Psychologists         http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/NJ/a,list/type,2/

Nutritionists:            http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/NJ/a,list/type,1/

Doctor Rating

2007:  http://njmonthly.com/articles/topdoctors/top-docs-pulmonary-disease-to-cardiac-surgery.html

2008: http://njmonthly.com/articles/topdoctors/surgery.html

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
knailnhair
on 7/7/09 10:50 pm - Milford, NJ
I'm on the wagon for Dr. Abkin!!!! He's amazing!!!! He was my surgeon, but Dr. Bertha is wonderful as well!!!! The whole experience was awesome, from the seminar to surgery!!!

Do yourself a favor and go to on the the ALS seminars...you won't be sorry!!!!

I had the Realize Band on May 19th....everything is going well so far!!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!!!

Kimi
Everything happens for a reason..Just believe...

checkitout
on 7/9/09 12:45 pm - Newton, NJ
I am going to jump on the Bertha Abkin bandwagon, I had surgery with Dr. Bertha in November and have been very happy with the care I received. I will say I did not care for the NUT that I went to but that is not a big deal.. I met Dr. Abkin a few times, my room mate had him as her surgeon and he was very nice too.

I found Dr. Bertha thru my OBGYN and when I went to my PCP he also said that Dr. Bertha was where I should go so that is where I went. I would recommend them without any reservations, I know lots of people who have had surgery and quite a few of them have used Abkin/Bertha no body I know has any complaints with them.. ALSO their office staff is great, Nino and Carla were wonderful !

Good luck ~

Stella
laura9488
on 7/10/09 9:06 pm - Denville, NJ
I used Dr. Pucci in Denville. I like him!  He does both the band and bypass.  His office is much smaller, but still gets the job done.  His insurance person got me approved when my insurance changed, really came through for me.
 That being said, most people LOVE Dr. A and DR. B and I have heard nothing but good stories about them!
Tom C.
on 7/11/09 3:30 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
How the *#$&* did I forget to mention the Pucci's. Another very good group .. heck when the WHOLE family is involved, how can't you be ;D !!
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
laura9488
on 7/11/09 8:37 am - Denville, NJ
I usually see Dr. Ed Pucci, but you never know which brother will be in and see you!  fortunately they are all great.
Most Active
Recent Topics