Surgery Date Scheduled and I don't know what to buy???!!!

duffaupa
on 7/6/09 11:27 pm
Morning OH!!!!!   I’m soo excited to announce that I’m scheduled to have gastric bypass surgery in September!!!! I’m a still a little nervous because this will be my first time having surgery, and being in a hospital overnight so I really don’t know what to expect…lol But I know I’ll get through everything by the grace of God.   I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a list or maybe provide me with a few suggestions as to what I should purchase for my first 4 weeks at home after the surgery. I’m so into shopping and to-do lists and I want to make sure that I have everything I need before I go into the hospital :-)

Laura C.
on 7/6/09 11:36 pm
Congrats!  September will come quickly.  My surgeon's office gave me a list of things to bring to the hospital and for the first few weeks after.  See if he has anything.  If not, I can probably find mine and scan it and email it to you.  Let me know.

duffaupa
on 7/7/09 2:04 am
Thanks!!! It feels like it's creeping up on me...lol I'm sure the office will give me something but I'm just so anxious to stock up..lol

Laura C.
on 7/7/09 4:25 am
On July 7, 2009 at 9:04 AM Pacific Time, duffaupa wrote:
Thanks!!! It feels like it's creeping up on me...lol I'm sure the office will give me something but I'm just so anxious to stock up..lol
Hi, give me private message.  I'll email that stuff to you.

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/09 5:20 am - Piscataway, NJ
 Congratulations on your date!  I wish I could say 'don't be nervous'...but...thats next to impossible as we all go thru it!  Here are my suggestions...

For the hospital, wear the same clothes you go in with. I wore a dress and flip flops. A lot of people will say bring books, lotion, cards, etc. I brought none of that.  I brought a pen, deodorant, a brush and a pair of slippers (that you can slip on) because you'll need to do "laps" around the floor. Many people said bring chapstick because you get dry. I bought a four-pack and never opened it. Let me tell you...the dryness in my mouth that I experienced would not be helped by chapstick! LOL   Basically I got as much rest as possible. I didn't even watch much tv.  Be prepared to stay in the hospital for a few days. If you think  you'll go out of your mind with boredom, it can't hurt to overload and bring stuff, even if you dont use it. I'm a minimalist, and I did fine...but thats me!

You'll be on liquids when you get home. You'll need chicken and vegetable broths (check about beef broth...you can't have it the day before surgery but I think after surgery is okay). Also, make sure they're low-sodium, because you'll still be swollen after surgery with fluids. Crystal Light or Snapple...some sort of flavored clear drink mix that you like, because you'll be living off of it. And sugar-free Popsicles of some sort. Make sure it's sugar-free and not "no sugar added". Decaf tea and/or coffee. Splenda (or substitute of your choice). Oh! and sugar-free Jello (check about red/dark jellos...you will be limited to orange and yellow prior to surgery but okay for red, blue, etc., after surgery)

When you get clearance for phase 2, which I am currently on, you'll be able to eat pureed foods. It's harder to prepare for that because a lot of the foods will go bad by the time you get home. But I had available sugar-free pudding mixes, all flavors (I was done with jello), some non-meat Progresso soups (Minestrone, Bean, etc...that you will need to puree). Don't go overboard, because you can't eat too much! One can will last you a week! Low-fat, sugar free yogurt (Dannons Light and Fit for example). Skim milk. Breakstones cottage cheese (the snack packs are perfect!). Cream of Wheat and oatmeal are options. I've done the cream of wheat, it's yum.

Mostly I'm working on getting in my protein. Plus, because you can't drink 1/2 hour before/after eating, it's hard to time when to eat when you're drinking all the time!  Don't forget to purchase your vitamins and calcium supplements!

If I were to start over, I'd research the protein options more. I'm having a semi-difficult time ensuring I get enough. Lucky you have time to order samples for when you come home. I'm doing the trial by error thing and it's not fun!

Gosh, I'm rambling...hope this helps. We have the same doctor, so if I can help in other ways, let me know! :)  And good luck!
duffaupa
on 7/7/09 6:02 am
Girl please!!!! Fee free to ramble on for as long as you'd like I need all the help I can get...lol thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post...and I'm really glad we share the same doctor :-) I love him and the GSB staff they are great! I hope I don't have to stay in the hospital for too long....cause I will definitely get anxious....lol

ebonyfigueroa
on 12/21/09 5:03 am
THIS WAS VERY HELPFUL THANKS TOO 
Lauren D.
on 7/10/09 4:13 am - Lorain, OH
 Hey~

You can look at my page, I have a blog entry of a check off list.  I am going in for surgery in 10 days, so I am obsessed with the "things" i need! lol... but i think i have a good check list, according to my surgeon's instructions, anyway.. .

Good luck!  
       I count protein, fluid ounces, and my blessings everyday. 

duffaupa
on 7/11/09 1:38 pm, edited 7/11/09 1:39 pm
Hey Lauren,

OMGosh your surgery is on my birthday so a special congrats to you with XOXOXOX'S lol !!!! Thank you so much for responding to my post :-) I will definitely check ya blog out :-)

~Patty~

BigDanii
on 7/10/09 2:28 pm
wow that seems like so much..im interested in knowing as well what things i need too..lol...and im having the duoental switch in 3 weeks..im nervous..

Most Active
Recent Topics