Just scheduled LBL - need help

Pat Rice
on 5/14/09 8:21 am - Northern, NJ
 I just scheduled my surgery for 6/17 with Dr Joe Capella in NJ. I am excited  and scared at same time. I always thought my WLS would be the only surgery for me. Had my gastric bypass 4 years ago with Dr. Raphael Capella. I have gained back some weight  approx 13 lbs. I thought this surgery will help to get me re-focused and back on track and possibly like what I see in mirror.

Are there any words of wisdom any of you could give me about what is to come or any questions I should be asking? I have read alot. I think some of my nerves involve guilt of wanting this. I live alone and don't have much support. You see I cannot tell any of my family beforehand because they would not approve. So, I have to arrange for public transportation to and from hospital. It is a hard journey when you go at it alone. 
Any advice is appreciated!
Thank you all in advance! Hugs, Pat
HUGS, PAT  
RNY 8/26/05 preop 226.2 lowest 132.7
LBL,TT,MASTOPEXY 6/17/09 preop 141.7 removed 7 lbs current 131.5 7/14/09
(deactivated member)
on 5/14/09 2:10 pm - NJ
Hi Pat

I do not have any words of advice for the surgery as I am not out that far yet.  But YOU know your reasons for doing it and it sounds like you did your homework so do not feel guilty!  Each of us is trying to improve our health and, I believe that self-image is part of a healthy outlook.  It was poor self-images that in part helped us need the surgery in the first place!

Lots of luck with your surgery and be sure to keep us informed of your progress.  You will always find lots of support here!

Vicki
maryc543
on 5/15/09 2:24 am
Pat,
Are you having it in Hackensack Hospital...oops,  HUMC, now?   He did a LBI on my niece, Lynn Bee, last year....   she looks wonderful!   Pain management was adequate,  he did a good job of ordering it,  it was just getting it from the staff frequently enough....the nurses were really busy on her floor....   she is young  23, so she bounced back quickly, but needed us to help her in and out of the bathroom, pushing IV poles, etc for the 2 days she was in-patient.    We also brought protein shakes, and WLS friendly foods, so she could snack whenever....   She could have gone it alone, and gotten more help from the staff,  but we're all local so it was easy to hang out with her, watch her TV,  force fluids, make her use her breathing exerciser, etc....ya know,  Aunt stuff.  You'll be fine on your own, but....   if you're going to HUMC, let me know.....  6/17 is a Wednesday, so if you're not going to tell your family....   maybe you'll need an "Aunt" visit, too!
      Good Luck!   Mary C

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Pat Rice
on 5/15/09 2:51 am - Northern, NJ

Hi Mary C,
Thanks so much for your response. I am having it done at HUMC, but Dr C is sending me to a nursing facility for one night. It cuts down the cost alot. No insurance for the surgery.
You are an awesome aunt ! Reminds me of me.  I am 52 and healthy so I am thinking optimistically that I can do this alone. Only problem is the members on the surgery messageboard are worried that it is too hard to go it alone. My biggest worry are my dogs. I decided to tell my neighbor and she will help with them when I am home.

I read a little about you. You are amazing ! Congratulations on your success!

I would love an aunt visit too, but I would be your aunt. the nursing home is in Ridgewood.
Hugs, Pat

HUGS, PAT  
maryc543
on 5/15/09 9:59 am, edited 5/15/09 10:00 am
Pat,  If you want, I have NO problem stopping in for a few hours after work...  I work in Paramus, so Ridgewood is right next door....  you may want someone sitting around for a while,  just to get you sips of fluids and pain meds, etc.... and hanging out until you're comfortable and ready to sleep....    (by the way, I am a practicing RN,  (grin)  so hospital rooms and whiny post op patients are no stranger to me!)    I know I don't know you except from on here, so I'm not offended if you'd rather go it alone!     Lynn Bee will be home from school this week, so if you'd like to meet for coffee and to ask her about her experiences,  I'm sure she'd go meet you with me before the surgery.   Mary C

Edited to say   I'm 48.   so I can be your fake sister!

Pat Rice
on 5/16/09 1:28 am - Northern, NJ

Mary, my sis -

You are awesome and going above and beyond. Thanks so much for your offer. I would never want to put you out.  I am meeting so many amazing women on this site. Really a special group.

Do you know any RN's that would be available to help with bandages and dressings etc? I guess for the 1st 10 days at home, I am learning that I cannot do this alone. I would be willing to pay obviously.
Hugs, sis

HUGS, PAT  
maryc543
on 5/19/09 11:59 am
I don't know anyone who does home care , sorry.....    I can ask around at work if you PM me what town you're in....     I'll leave the offer of a visit post op open.....you might have a freak just before and want somkeone hanging out with you for a few hours!  All you have to do is ask!  
Let me know what town....and I'll ask around.    Mary C

Nannette
on 5/19/09 12:16 am - Toms River, NJ
Dr Joe did my LBL in January 05 -- it was definately the hardest and most painful of all my reconstruction surgery as well as all others I've had, etc.  Having said that, it also had the biggest payoff -- I am very pleased with the results, even four years later!  Some things to have handy at home
-- higher toilet seat
-- very long sneaker shoelaces (to tie drains up while you shower, etc and need both hands while undressed
-- loose tops and bottoms with adjustable waistbands
--a recliner to sleep in initially

You'll be bent over for several days from the tightness of pulling the skin together and pain -- I always joke that I got up from surgery 95 years of age, but got 5 years younger every day!

Although I'm too far away to help in person, if you have any questions, fire away -- I'll be glad to help out in any way I can.  Good luck.
Hugs,
Nannette

Nannette
Lap RNY 6/16/03
Revise to DS 8/15/11

Most Active
Recent Topics