Recent accomplishment - Lost only 3 pounds .. but I am happy !!

Tom C.
on 4/16/09 11:11 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Ok .. time to end the week on a GOOD NOTE. Please share a recent experience that has made you feel positive about yourself and/or weight loss.

Here’s mine:

Since last month, I’ve only lost 3 pounds. While some folks would be despondent - I am elated. Those 3 pounds brought me to a total of 160 pounds lost since the beginning of this journey - 16 months ago. That’s an average of about 10 pounds a month. I can live with that (or actually live WITHOUT that)!! That brings me to yet another milestone (275 pounds).

It appears my weight loss has slowed to about 1 pound a week. I am still happy about that, for two reasons. (1) It’s still a loss, and (thank God) not a gain. (2) If I continue to lose 1 pound a week, I will hit my ultimate goal by next year.

Plus, I had the ultimate compliment this week. Wednesday there was a birthday luncheon for a coworker. About 30 people attended. This one retired employee came back to help celebrate. While making idle chit-chat the person asked which department I worked for. I said, the same one - and left it at that. I didn’t think too much of it. As the party ended, one person said “I gotta tell you - you look very good. How much weight did you lose?" I told them 160 pounds, and that’s when the retired employee yelled out “TOM!!". I said quizzingly “yeah". She said “OH MY GOD I DIDN’T RECOGNIZE YOU!! I thought you were a new employee who came after I left!! YOU LOOK FANTASTIC". - Now while I know I will never look fantastic, I was thrilled to know that the weight loss has made me “somewhat" unrecognizable.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
reillye
on 4/17/09 9:55 pm
Great work, Tom!  My loss is slowing down as well.  I think it's just how things are.

You have a great attitude.  :)  Keep up the good work.

Eileen
mystic
on 4/19/09 11:31 pm - manchester, NJ
there is nothing as sweet as not being recognized because we have
become thinner people

enjoy and congrats on your continuing weight loss

be safe and well, jacki

DrMichaelSakowitz
on 4/20/09 12:32 am
Tom that is great.

What a nice story to share with the community.  I never knew you then but I am sure that you have changed physically at lot with the weight loss.

Interestertingly, many patients have shared with me that their excessive weight actually made them invisible!  An interesting paradox.

Anyway, Tom you stand as a good example.....you are involved in the aftercare community in a strong way....it serves others and serves you as well!

I hope your message is hear by others.

Keep up the good work!

Dr Mike
Michael L. Sakowitz, Ph.D. is a psychologist (NJ 35SI00148700) and member of ObesityHelp's Mental Health Board.  By posting, he makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein.  This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any physical or mental condition.  No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind.  No website or informational post can take the place of seeking professional help.  If you need professional help of any kind, please seek the services of a professional or dial 911.
chell1957
on 4/28/09 10:05 am - Woodbury, NJ
U indeed have come far from what I read and see. I agree, even a 3 pound loss is something to be happy about.

Like you I have lost 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks and I think I am at a plateau again. But I know it will break and I will start to lose again.

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/private.php
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/

DrMichaelSakowitz
on 4/29/09 1:08 am
I know that plateaus are frustrating....

please view it as your body saying "JUST WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE I AM USED TO MORE FOOD"

Staying the course, or shaking something up a bit is your response
     "WE'RE LOSING WEIGHT HERE, GET WITH THE PROGRAM"

Good luck

Dr Mike
Michael L. Sakowitz, Ph.D. is a psychologist (NJ 35SI00148700) and member of ObesityHelp's Mental Health Board.  By posting, he makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein.  This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any physical or mental condition.  No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind.  No website or informational post can take the place of seeking professional help.  If you need professional help of any kind, please seek the services of a professional or dial 911.
chell1957
on 4/29/09 3:17 am - Woodbury, NJ
I know U R right. Being a "light weight" to start with makes it all the more frustrating to lose.....It's SO Slow but it IS COMING OFF!

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/private.php
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/

Most Active
Recent Topics