This might sound stupid, but...

Karen B.
on 4/14/09 12:28 am - Lawrenceville, NJ
My husband and I both had RNY in November (me) and December (him).

My surgery approval was based on my weight, and I'm doing well (the nausea gets a bit old at times), but I'm basically fine.  I've lost 71 pounds and have about 90 more to go.

My husband's approval was based on co-morbidities and he is about 15 pounds from a healthy weight for him.  However, he's still losing as a pretty good clip.

Any ideas as to how to SLOW this down so that he doesn't zoom past a healthy weight?  In most cases I've seen on OH, people choose a weight that they think they can achieve as a 'goal'.  My husband is 5'8" and his goal is 160 pounds.  He can't afford to healthfully lose much more than that.

Who would have thought this could be an issue? 
 So far, so good.

JenStock1970
on 4/14/09 5:45 am - Bay Shore Of, NJ
He may need to increase his calories and do more weight bearing excerise to build muscle.  I'd X-Post this to the RNY board and the Men's Forum, may be able to get more ideas there too.
HW 495/Consult 426/SW 363/Current 182
"If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."-- Clint Eastwood

"Don't compromise yourself.  You are all you've got."-- Janis Joplin

DrMichaelSakowitz
on 4/20/09 12:38 am
Don't panic just yet.

I'm a big fan of "monitor and modify".  Have him record in a diary everthing he eats and drinks for a week.  Check the nutritional soundness of his diet.  Choices, portions, calories etc.  Make changes on that not on the scale!

Don't forget that a nutitionist is an important part of aftercare!

Dr Mike
Michael L. Sakowitz, Ph.D. is a psychologist (NJ 35SI00148700) and member of ObesityHelp's Mental Health Board.  By posting, he makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein.  This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any physical or mental condition.  No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind.  No website or informational post can take the place of seeking professional help.  If you need professional help of any kind, please seek the services of a professional or dial 911.
Most Active
Recent Topics