Oh No, The nerves are setting in...

tammy12345
on 4/7/09 9:03 am
Well today I had all my pre admission testing done. That means it is all really happening. I suddenly have  this overwhelming feeling of panic! I am scared to death. What if something goes wrong? Am I really doing the rite thing? My family will be lost without me...

VickiVega
on 4/7/09 9:44 am - China Grove, NC

I was the same exact way. I was terrified. But I just thought of it this way....The chances of me dying or being severly "hurt" were MUCH higher if I didnt have the surgery.  The surgery was the safest way to go about things.

Plus look around at all these people on the Loser's Bench sending good luck, wishes & prayers your way

tonigirlv
on 4/7/09 10:37 am - South Jersey Shore, NJ
Your not alone....I am feeling the exact same way....I'm a single mom of a 9 & 7 year old so I am with you....I am sure this is normal what we're feeling. 

Toni
big_ideas
on 4/7/09 10:43 pm - Randolph, NJ
I am almost fourteen months out, and I am here to tell you what you are experiencing is not only normal, it is expected. You should be nervous; you are about to make a very big decision and it should not be done lightly.

However, you should also weigh (no pun intended) the risks against the benefits. First, I assume that, like me, you have exhausted all your options. If there were another way to succeed, you would have done it. Second, your physical and mental health is suffering. You are not living your life fully. You are not being the mother/wife/sister/daughter/friend you could be because you are trapped in your body. Imagine being free! You deserve it, and so do the people that love you and depend on you.

Yes, there are risks. And you should not discount them. But there are also risks to being obese.

For me, the surgery and recovery were much easier than I had feared. (and I had a second surgery on day two to check for a leak). The worst part was the fatigue, which lasted for weeks. But I was lazing on the couch for months before that because I was too big to do much of anything. So resting was something I was already used to.

But for me it has been worth it. My weight loss has been slower than I'd hoped it would be, so I try to focus on the little victories. The flying without a seat belt extender; the shopping in "normal" stores; the tying of shoes; the walking without getting winded; the compliments from everyone I see. Looking forward to these things was what got me through my pre-op anxiety.

Please feel free to PM me if you need any support or encouragement, or if you have any questions.

Best,
Big_Ideas (aka Linda)

AndreaC
on 4/12/09 8:23 am - NJ
Hi,
If you didn't feel that way I would think something was wrong.  This is SO normal.  You are absolutely doing the right thing.  That's why you have gone this far with your research, testing, talking and thinking about it. 

Cannot wait to welcome  you to the losers' bench, it's great here!  Good luck, prayers and good wishes go with you,
Andrea
Most Active
Recent Topics