about thebanding port?

DJ
on 3/3/09 12:57 am - Parsippany, NJ
Hi,

I had RNY 4 years ago. but someone i work with is asking me about the port.. 
Can you see it under your skin, does it stick out and more so as you loose.?
My understanding is the band can be removed and so will the port.
Does a fill hurt? are you anestitzed at all during it..
Sorry if my questions sound silly but I really have no idea.. and since it seems to be the new method of choice. I thought I'd ask..

Thanks,
Donna
shel
on 3/3/09 2:56 am - Howell, NJ
Hi Donna,

If you had RNY there is no port.  A port goes along with a lapband.  To answer your other questions you may want to check the lap band board, but from my experience:

...you cannot see the port under your skin, but you may be able to feel around and locate it by touch

...a fill does hurt, especially when they keep sticking you without finding the port

...sometimes you get a local and sometimes you don't depends on the doc

...each person is different and fills are handled differently by each doctor.

These are all lap band questions.
DJ
on 3/3/09 4:09 am - Parsippany, NJ
Thank you  for the info.. obviously I don't have a port it you read the question it was for basic info as I had none to offer someone who had asked me about banding.
Ilisa D.
on 3/3/09 8:29 am - Marlboro, NJ
Hi Donna,

Everyone is different of course, so IMO........yes you can see the port under the skin, not thru the skin, but mine does show the shape thru the skin.  I guess it depends on your body type, I do not have a very fat belly and my port is high up under my rib cage. Mine was visible from day one. I actually like that you can see it, as my dr has never missed it when I went for a fill.  I was told that the band can be removed as well as the port.  Not sure why I would ever want to do that unless down the road I encounter a problem with it.  Hope to never have a problem!  As for me, the fill is a pinch, I would say minor discomfort. Others may say different.  I think a local would be worse as that burns when it gets absorbed in the skin.  There is something called Emla Cream you can use if you really need it, it can be placed on the skin up to 2 hours before your fill, some find that very helpful. I have never used it personally.  If you friend has any other questions, feel free to contact me.

Ilisa
3grlsmom
on 3/3/09 8:34 am
 I have had 10 fills and they DONT hurt me at all.  I am also a huge baby - I get gas to just get my teeth cleaned!!!  The port area is numb so no feeing at all for me.
Karen in NJ 

Most Active
Recent Topics