Sooo happy with Dr. Abkin!!!!

knailnhair
on 2/27/09 2:52 am, edited 2/27/09 11:00 pm - Milford, NJ
I went for my consult with Dr. Abkin yesterday and let me just tell you this doctor is AWESOME!!! He was patient with my questions and answered them all.  He was very detailed in how the surgery is done and the fills as well. He didn't rush thru my appointment.  He was very comical!!! Which I love! While comical, he was serious.  I felt comfortable the minute he walked in the room. Loved his shirt and tie, which he said his wife picked out!!  He talked with me for about 45 mins, as I don't think I had as many questions as some. I've got a wonderful mentor who has been thru the Realize process just a year ago, and a little shout out...HAS LOST 150LBS!!!! He weighed himself yesterday and was sooo excited!!! Congrats MOBHSM!!!

Next I went into see Jessica, the insurance guru.  Let me tell you this girl has got it goin on!!!!  She's amazing!!!  I have Cigna, not a good ins to have.  So I brought the paperwork from my doc and she suggested getting a few more medical records. Once I have my bloodwork done, my nut eval and pysch eval and all is submitted, if everything goes thru I'm looking at an early April surgery date. 

If my insurance denies something we'll take it from there. I'm def a candidate for the surgery due to my medical conditions, so Dr. Abkin says let's do it now!!!

I go for my Nut eval next Wednesday with Kingley and I called and left a message for Dr. Sakawitz to make an appt for my pysch eval, they called back, I go next Thursday to see Dr. Mike!!!!!! Bloodwork next Saturday morning.....busy week!!!!

All in all it was a super experience!!!  If anyone is looking for a doc you must go to ALS...they rock!!!

Kimi
surrender44
on 2/27/09 3:11 am - union, NJ
I am pleased with Dr. Abkin as well.  While you were getting your consult yesterday, I along with a few other peeps were getting our pre-op class in.  We were waiting for Dr. to finish with his patients.  He is a cutie on the eyes and his manner is very personal.  Good luck on your approval. 
I pray to always remember newbies
After the rain comes the rainbows
w ww.myspace.com/ultranay

knailnhair
on 2/27/09 4:00 am - Milford, NJ
Wow...I wonder if we were there at the same time???  I was there from 12:45-3pm.......
DJ
on 2/27/09 4:10 am - Parsippany, NJ
oh This DR.. has always been very good.. it is his office staff that are the killer and destroyer of all dreams.. They just plain out refused to help me when the insurance denied me.. I went to another dr.. and they figured it all out.. and I had my surgery with him.. 
Good luck..
knailnhair
on 2/27/09 6:00 am - Milford, NJ
On February 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM Pacific Time, DJ wrote:
oh This DR.. has always been very good.. it is his office staff that are the killer and destroyer of all dreams.. They just plain out refused to help me when the insurance denied me.. I went to another dr.. and they figured it all out.. and I had my surgery with him.. 
Good luck..
DJ...sorry to hear about your experience with the office staff.  I'm happy to report that all the ladies were super nice with me yesterday and the insurance guru Jessica, was amazing!!!!

Glad to hear you found a doctor and were able to have the surgery!!!
Kimi
Tom C.
on 2/27/09 11:43 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
>> it is his office staff that are the killer and destroyer of all dreams.. They just plain out refused to help me when the insurance denied me << 

While I don't doubt you, I find that very strange. I know a lot of folks who had insurance issues, and the staff at ALS were great “working" the system in order for them to get the surgery. I do know is if you get denied twice, they DO STOP. That is because after 3 times, an insurance company can “flag" your file and you will be denied forever. They don't want to risk it for future attempts. So maybe this is what happen. They do mention this fact at all seminars.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
DJ
on 3/2/09 12:37 am - Parsippany, NJ
Nope it was my first try.. he was my dr of choice.. and they flat out refused to offer me any help...
They told me to come pick up my file... I was in shock.. I was approved the next time with no problem.. didn't even have to do an appeal.. ... what I found out much later and only from doing my own research.. they had failed to enter a code correctly... what a dump mistake..and they didn't catch it..
I do understand the staff are all new now.. so they must now be on the ball.. back then I really was upset with them ... they failed and wouldn't help.. they were just nasty too.. they refused to take ownership for their error.. Oh well.. their loss.. my money never lined there pockets.. but I guess they never missed it either..
hockeymom8016
on 2/28/09 6:56 am - NJ
That sounds unusual. I found the staff very helpful and knowlegeable.  I had no trouble with them at all. I am sorry you did.

jeannefitz
on 2/27/09 4:24 am
Hi Kimi, I am still very happy with ALS too, after an almost 3 month process from start to surgery. I am almost 3 weeks post-op RNY and have lost 35lbs. I am going back to work this Monday and had to buy a pair of pants that didn't fall off me to go back, and I am down two sizes from what I was pre-op!  I am still in shock. It sounds like Dr. Bertha who did my surgery and Dr. Abkin are very much alike, very patient and don't rush anyone out of the office and they answer any question they're asked. You've definitely gone to the right place for this surgery, you won't regret your choice. Keep me posted how you're doing! Jeanne
knailnhair
on 2/27/09 11:09 pm - Milford, NJ
On February 27, 2009 at 12:24 PM Pacific Time, jeannefitz wrote:
Hi Kimi, I am still very happy with ALS too, after an almost 3 month process from start to surgery. I am almost 3 weeks post-op RNY and have lost 35lbs. I am going back to work this Monday and had to buy a pair of pants that didn't fall off me to go back, and I am down two sizes from what I was pre-op!  I am still in shock. It sounds like Dr. Bertha who did my surgery and Dr. Abkin are very much alike, very patient and don't rush anyone out of the office and they answer any question they're asked. You've definitely gone to the right place for this surgery, you won't regret your choice. Keep me posted how you're doing! Jeanne
Hi Jeanne,
Congrats on needed a new size pants to return towork in!!!  I def feel I've made the right decision about which group of doctors I've chosen!!!  The are the best!!!
Congrats on your progress so far and good luck on the rest of your journey!!!
Kimi
Most Active
Recent Topics