Fills under Fluro - Bertha/Abkin patients

StaceyNJ
on 2/27/09 5:26 am - Brick, NJ
Hi

Just looking for advice from other Bertha/Abkin Bandster patients...  I understand they do all of their fills under Fluoro and can but rarely do them in the office...I think im in a little predicament...
I live 2 hours away from the office - so for me to go every 6 weeks for a appt and then separately a fill is alot...lots of traveling..and I will have to take a half day off o fwork to go to each of this appts...Do you think it would be worth it to ask the Dr if every other fill could be done under fluro so that every other could be done in the office at the time of my appt...

Looking for some advice from other Bertha/Abkin Bandsters...

Stacey

xraycj
on 2/27/09 10:34 am - Bayonne, NJ
Stacey,

Just a little confused about your post....why do you have to go see them every 6 weeks?  As far as your fills go you don't go every six weeks, you go as you need them.  Which maybe 3, 6, 12, 18, 36 weeks apart.  I would HIGHLY recommend doing them under fluoro.  Not only do they check the placement of the band and its tubing they can also tell if the band might be too tight after the adjustment.  The barium that you drink will get held up and not pass steadily thru the band telling them that it could be too tight when food is trying to pass thru.  Believe me the 2 hour drive is worth it.  I wouldn't do it any other way!!

Hope that helps.

Carroll
Purple ribbonFor Kelly....and many others out there!!!!!
StaceyNJ
on 2/28/09 3:35 am - Brick, NJ
Im so sorry you are confused....

I was merely making a hypothetical statement - if I had to go every 6 weeks weeks or so for a fill....then a month after that for a re-check , then go for my regular visits as they state on their paperwork..I believe which is 2 ,6,12 etc after surgery....that it causes alot of driving...2 hours each way - each time I go ...and each of these visits will case me to take a 1/2 day off from work...it was just a suggestion I was making....  

How often have you gone for your fills?

Stacey

xraycj
on 2/28/09 9:28 am - Bayonne, NJ
Stacey,

I wasn't be at all nasty in my response!  I didn't know you where "merely making a hypothetical statement" since you asked a direct question.  But in any event....every person is different when it comes to fills.  You won't even being to discuss getting your first until your 6 week appt.  Which was all covered in my Pre-op class sorry that it wasn't covered in yours.  Perhaps any other direct questions about you and your fills should be directed to Dr. Bertha. 

Just so you know fills are USUALLY done on Thursday from 8 -11am.

Hope that helps with your planning.
Purple ribbonFor Kelly....and many others out there!!!!!
StaceyNJ
on 2/28/09 10:16 am - Brick, NJ
I'm sorry if my response seemed nasty that was not my intention at all...    I was just saying hypothetically if it was every 6 weeks...  I  appreciate everyone's help..and appreciate when fellow OH members are able to answer my questions and give advice....

I will certainly ask Dr Bertha any questions of an urgent nature etc...but I am hopeful that members will still be able to provide advice...

Thank You
Stacey

frogger528
on 2/27/09 11:54 am
Hi Stacey,

You should also know that after you get a fill they require you to come back to the office for an appointment 1 month later to check on how you are doing. They made this VERY clear at the pre op class I attended this week. The way I understood it you actually have 3 appointments - one to discuss the possibiltiy of getting a fill, two to actually get the fill under fluro and three the one month follow up. I can see how this can be a problem living so far away from the office but I agree with the past poster that it is better to err on the way of caution then ask for a probem.

Take care,
Frogger

Tom C.
on 2/27/09 11:31 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
 What I really like about Doctors Abkin's and Bertha's philosophy is they aren't the type of Doctor's who say we do fills X amount of weeks. They feel as long as a person is loosing (at least) 1 pound a week, a fill isn't needed. However, the will also take the patience's concerns into consideration. If the patient thinks they are eating too much – then they will do it.

They like doing it under florscope because they feel they can better “monitor" how much saline to insert. Doctors who don't do it this way, do a “hit or miss" type of fill – hence the reason for frequent visits – until the “right amount of fill" is finally found.

After each fill, you need to do a follow-up 1 month later.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
StaceyNJ
on 2/28/09 3:40 am - Brick, NJ
Tom

Thank you for the information I appreciate it... I just wish this was something they would have covered previously - not that it would have changed my mind in Dr's but it would have been nice to know

Stacey

StaceyNJ
on 2/28/09 3:37 am - Brick, NJ
StaceyNJ
on 2/28/09 3:38 am - Brick, NJ
Thank you for your feedback - I aprpeciate it...unfortunately at no point in our pre-op class did anyone mention this including nurse, dietician or Dr Bertha...  Im glad they had mentioned it at yours

Stacey

Most Active
Recent Topics