Question about dumping.....

thinkingthin68
on 2/24/09 1:27 am - South Amboy, NJ
Hi Everyone,
  well I still haven't had my surgery but I am trying to learn everything. I read on here that a dr told a pt to use a teaspoon of sugar to help with dumping,Has anyone used this and does it work? I heard dumping is very painfull so Im asking to see if this is a myth or a fact? Thanks and have a great day...

Denise....
AngelaEsq
on 2/24/09 2:07 am - Toms River, NJ
I cannot imagine using a teaspoon of sugar to help with dumping. It makes absolutely no sense to me and seems like a pretty bad habit.

I would never do this.  The key to dumping is NOT EATING STUFF YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO.  I would think if you used sugar to cure your dumping you would get your body used to sugar and eventually not dump anymore.

Follow your surgeon's instructions--but if my surgeon recommended that I would run the other way.
(deactivated member)
on 2/24/09 9:04 am - NJ
Hi Denise

I agree with Angela - that is definately something I would avoid.   Sugar can be a primary cause for dumping so it just doesn't make sense.

Don't be afraid of dumping - just be aware that if you don't follow the rules - it happens.  It's not pleasant at all but if you do what you are suppose to do, it can be a very rare occurrence.

I'm about 16 months out now and have had very few episodes.  And when I thought back about what I did during the few hours before, I realized I either ate something wrong or ate too fast because I was in a hurry and "it was something I've eaten a ton of times".  It doesn't matter how often you eat something, if you eat it too fast you can cause yourself some trouble.

Good Luck!!!
Vicki
DJ
on 2/25/09 12:49 am - Parsippany, NJ
It is not painfull.. it is just not pleasant as Vicki said..

But don't think you don't get even further out.. I am 4 years out.. and still get it from time to time..
If you forget the rule and eat too fast or don't chew or too much or just the wrong thing.. it happens.

Dumping is not just for newbies..
Most Active
Recent Topics