Insurance question from a Lap Band to possible Bypass patient

RandyRadd77
on 2/21/09 5:09 am - Dayton, NJ
Hi all,
I had the lap band placed in october of 2005.  I lost about 65 lbs and was somewhat happy until this past summer when I was having terrible gastric reflux.  Well after months of waiting and testing they found that my band had slipped.  Well now I have to have the band removed but I want to have a bypass instead.  Anyone have any problem with the insurance not approving?  I have horizon blue cross blue shield POS plan and am using Advanced Laproscopics of Morris with Dr. Iannace and Dr. Abkin  any experience with the Dr. Abkin and Horizon? 
Thanks,
Randy 
StaceyNJ
on 2/21/09 5:26 am - Brick, NJ
I believe Dr. Abkin/Bertha/ Iannace accept Horizon  - I think there may be a pre surgery monitored diet required by the insurance ...i.e. 6 months...

Stacey

RandyRadd77
on 2/21/09 5:58 am - Dayton, NJ
 Thanks Stacey...but I already had the lap band and since it slipped I wondered if anyone had a similar experience?
DrMichaelSakowitz
on 2/24/09 4:11 am
Hi Randy,

While not common, it does happen.  I have worked with other patients who switch to the Bypass after the band for a variety of reasons.  No reason not to think you will do well.

You will have to go through all the pre surgical screening again.

All the skills you learned with the Band will apply with your new surgery as well.

Good Luck

Dr Mike
Michael L. Sakowitz, Ph.D. is a psychologist (NJ 35SI00148700) and member of ObesityHelp's Mental Health Board.  By posting, he makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein.  This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any physical or mental condition.  No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind.  No website or informational post can take the place of seeking professional help.  If you need professional help of any kind, please seek the services of a professional or dial 911.
nicole K.
on 3/3/09 12:32 am - brick, NJ
hey, i am almost exact to ur situation.  i got the band in nov 05, lost about 65, band slipped, had it "fixed" oct 07 and it has never been right since.  I am now scheduled for bypass april 9.  if ud like to chat u can reach me via email.  [email protected]
Debba
on 3/12/09 12:22 am - West Deptford, NJ
Revision on 05/19/09 with
Wow, looks like I'm in the same boat, too!  Had my band placed in Oct 2006, lost 70 lbs, then 6 or 7 months ago started having horrible reflux.  Now, I've had reflux prior to the band, but for two years it hadn't been a problem.  What has become a problem is a hiatal hernia that went undetected and is now wreaking havoc.  I had to have my band emptied and I've gained back 12 lbs and I'm not a happy camper!  My surgeon initially sent a letter to Aetna requesting a revision to a vertical sleeve (figured it was a long shot, but tried anyway).  Request was denied - not because they wouldn't cover a revision, but that the sleeve is too experimental.  My surgeon asked me to considered RNY since he's pretty sure they'll cover that, so after much thought I'm going for it.  He's going to submit a new letter asking for revision to RNY.  It's a shame - I really like my band and if it were an easy matter to repair the hernia I would do it.  Unfortunately, the band would have to be removed to make the repair and there would be no guarantee it could be placed back on due to scar tissue.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Most Active
Recent Topics