Bertha/Abkin Patients.....

StaceyNJ
on 2/21/09 9:03 am - Brick, NJ

Just wondering from ALS patients how your fills went....I learned last week that all fills are done under fluro..how was your experience..Difficult to get on schedule? How frequently have you done fills? Insurance cover them? Did they hurt?

Stacey

frogger528
on 2/21/09 11:25 am
Hi Stacey,

I haven't been banded yet so I haven't had fills yet. As for Insurance though - I did ask about that at my consult. I was told with Oxford I will need to wait 90 days for first fill and then 3 per year after that. So I guess that puts me at about one every 4 months as needed. I know I'm glad they do it under fluro to be sure they hit the port and can see that you are not too tight before you leave.

Hope this helps.

Frogger

Tom C.
on 2/22/09 4:06 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Hi Stacey,

I had one adjustment (back in July) and will have another in a week.

Doctor Abkin and Bertha's belief is if you are still loosing weight, no need for a fill. Once you need a fill (adjusment) you will need to make an appointment - and the fill is usually done the following month (so I made an appointment in February for March).

99% of the time they do it at the hospital under floro. HOWEVER you can request to have it done in the office. They rather not - but it can be done. I heard they may be doing that more often in their new office, but I am not sure.

All insurances are different. Most will not pay before 90 days. After 90 days, then they will. Again, each insurance company had their own rules on how much they will cover and/or if you need prior approval from the insurance company before they cover it.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
StaceyNJ
on 2/22/09 9:40 am - Brick, NJ
Hi Tom

Thank you for the advice. Yes, Dr Bertha mentioned last week they are trying to get a radiological facility/group in the building so that they are able to do the fills there ...but he said this is a possible plan and would not be happening in the near future... I am hoping this does come about...I have to admit it will be a real pain to have to make the 2 hr trek each way to get a fill..

Did you have restriction even without the fill?

Stacey

Vicki87
on 2/22/09 1:59 pm
Hi all!

Thanks for this post-- good info!

I go in to see the NP for my 3 month post-op appt. in mid-March. I should find out about how my insurance covers fills, so I don't get a huge bill!!

Now, you said that if you are losing weight, they will not fill you? I am hoping that I can possibly talk them into it, because I feel like I am trying soooo hard to maintain the loss I've had and like I am hungry all the time. Time will tell, I suppose!

Tom C.
on 2/22/09 9:55 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Stacey,

to answer your question - yes you do feel some type of "restriction" even before your first fill. When the install the band, it's empty. Even so, it needs to "pinch around the stomach". Kind of think of it as a blood pressure cup. The Doctor puts in on snug before even before it's inflated. Your arm "feels a little restriction" - and gets more restricted as the Doctor increases the "pressure"

Vicki87:

What I said about Doctors Abkin and Bertha not wanting to fill if you're still losing weight also DEPENDS ON WHAT THE PATIENTS WANTS. The one great thing I love about Doctors A & B is that while they have "guidelines" how they like to proceed, they LISTEN to their PATIENT’S wants/concerns. If you tell them you think you need an adjustment, they may do it. Because (A) no two patients are alike, (B) only YOU know how YOU feel.

I will forewarn you - before you decide to get a fill - MAKE SURE YOU REALLY NEED IT - and you’re not getting it “because I feel I need it". I have seen some folks who get “restricted" too early and then after a day or two after their fill they can’t keep any solids (and sometimes liquids) down. Then they need to go back to get an “un-fill". And many times they are right back to where they started. Then (depending on your insurance) you may need to wait another 90 days before you can attempt another fill. During that “additional waiting period" you may REALLY NEED A FILL and your weight loss can be hampered because you can’t get it. Just food for thought (no pun intended)

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
reillye
on 2/24/09 8:42 pm
I've had 3 fills.  2 in hospitals with flouro and one in office.   They are very good about listening to you.  It used to be much harder to get an appt for fills - a several month wait.  My 3rd fill was much easier to get - and they said that in general it was easier now than it had been.

I had restriction for the first 6 weeks, but then not again until my first fill.  It was HARD to keep losing without much or any restriction.  THe fills really helped - but it wasn't until my 2nd fill that I got "good" restriction.  

I'm now full in my band - I'm at the max that the manufacturer says to put in.  From here on, I'm pretty much staying as is.  The good news is that as-is is good.  I'm tight, but not too tight.

Oh, and they don't hurt.  The initial numbing medicine stings a smidge, but after that, no pain.  Just weird pressure.

Best of luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics