Am I eating too much !?!??!?

Tom C.
on 2/19/09 3:08 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

It has been one year since being banded, and I am elated with my results. But the one thing that really haunts me is: am I eating too much? I know many folks say they have 1/2 a cup of this, and a cup of that, but I always weight my food.  

I usually have 4 to 6 ounces of chicken, and another 6 to 8 ounces of broccoli-florentine (which contains broccoli, cauliflower and carrots), then about 2 ounces of “liquid" (broth, cream of chicken/mushroom soup) - which is about a pound of food. I occasionally will have some salad afterwards (with dressing on the side - fork dipped into it). Is this too much?

I haven’t lost weight in the last two months, and I am not panicking about it. I do still full in between meals, and I never feel overstuffed. A very good friend from here told me that I am doing fine, but I I am still concern.

What do you think? Should I cut back? I did increase exercising, and I am scheduled for an adjustment in March. Just wondering.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
adam_
on 2/19/09 8:47 am - Boynton Beach, FL
Since you don't have any malabsorbtion w/ the band this won't be difficult to figure out, just need more info.

What is your current height / weight? How often are you eating? Are you tracking on a site like the daily plate? If so, post up your numbers for a typical day and let us also know how active you are as well.

I'm a firm believer in eating 6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism going, your hunger in check, and to avoid overeating.  Portion size is important but even more so is "what" foods your eating.  Chicken, veggies and salad sounds great as long as its not fried chicken w/ skin and veggies tossed in a butter sauce with a Chef's Salad smothered in full fat Thousand Island...lol.

If you've still got a ways to go then I'd try staying away from carbs all together for a while to jumpstart the weight loss.  Personally I hit goal in 9 months and was still losing rapidly so I was told to up my portion size and healthy carb intake and guess what....no more weightloss!

-Adam - 6'6" - From 450 lbs to GOAL in 9 months...
Phase 1: Completed 10/2008.
Phase 2: Weightlifting - Goal: Add 40 lbs of muscle. Completed 2/15/2011.
Phas 3: Cut to 10% body fat.
MY STORY:  imthebiggestloser.blogspot.com/

Tom C.
on 2/19/09 8:31 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ

Hey Adam,

Thanks for responding. Here are the answers to your questions:

I am 6-2 and weighing around 293 (I was 435 last January).

My eating routine is routine -
4:30 a.m.: breakfast (oatmeal w/skim milk and water) 

9:00 a.m.: protein drink 

Noon (lunch) and 6:00 p.m. (dinner) both contain the: 4 to 6 ounces of chicken, and another 6 to 8 ounces of broccoli-
Florentine (which contains broccoli, cauliflower and carrots), then about 2 ounces of “liquid" (broth, cream of chicken/mushroom soup)

3:30 p.m.: I have either a protein drink or maybe 2 ounces of peanuts ... that's it. ..

For "condiments" I use either mustard or a teaspoon of low-fat (or fat free) mayo or ketchup (depends on the protein).

And if I have a salad, it's usually vinegar and oil (virgin olive or canola) on the side and I dip my fork in it.

As mentioned, I just increased my exercise. So hopefully that will help. Also, I have had only 1 adjustment (back in July), and I am scheduled for one in a few weeks. Hopefully that will help too.

Any other suggestions/comments will be great appreciated

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
DrMichaelSakowitz
on 2/20/09 5:31 am
Hi Tom,

Try and avoid the liquid during meals.  The goal with the band is to keep the food above it!  Liquid has the tendency to flush the food through.  This allows the consumption of more food.  What is impressive about your plan is the choices you are making....good work.

Try the no liquid with food idea.....let us know what you find.

Dr Mike
Michael L. Sakowitz, Ph.D. is a psychologist (NJ 35SI00148700) and member of ObesityHelp's Mental Health Board.  By posting, he makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein.  This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any physical or mental condition.  No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind.  No website or informational post can take the place of seeking professional help.  If you need professional help of any kind, please seek the services of a professional or dial 911.
Tom C.
on 2/20/09 6:16 am, edited 2/20/09 7:08 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Hey Doc !! Thanks for input. I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying - I should avoid adding the "liquid" (broth, cream soup, etc) to my meals? This liquid will cause me to eat more? If so, I never thought of that. I was just adding "some liquid" to keep the foods moist - but I will look at other options. If I misunderstood, then please correct me.

Please know I don't drink 30 minutes before or after my meal. I know that the big NO NO :) !!
Any advice is always appreciated !!

Tom

adam_
on 2/20/09 8:28 am - Boynton Beach, FL
oh yea, and the liquid (broth) is exactly like drinking with your meal...which is probably why you're able to eat such a large amount in one sitting, you're washing the food right through your band...i got a feeling that your next fill will help, but in the mean time lose the liquids all together while you're eating...

adam_
on 2/20/09 8:23 am - Boynton Beach, FL
OK...so you're on the right track for sure....making the right choices with the foods you're eating....Your current diet is perfect for someone your size looking to maintain their weight.....that's exactly how you should be eating once you're at your goal weight...I think you may be eating a bit too much volume at your main meals if you're still trying to lose, maybe cut back to 3-4 oz of meat....or, you may also be the type of person (like me) that is sensitive to carbs, might need to cut out the oatmeal for a while and replace it with something like eggs/cheese...and your protein drink, is that low carb? If not, switch it up....If you can keep your carbs to under 20-30 grams and protein to 80gm+ per day you are pretty much guaranteed to lose quickly.  You can do it!! And you've done great so far!

Tom C.
on 2/20/09 10:12 pm - Mount Arlington, NJ
I personally like Cytosport products. Either the Muscle milk or the Complete Whey Low Fat which has 90 calories, 15 from fat, 1 carb, 18 g or protein

Tom

mystic
on 2/20/09 10:58 pm - manchester, NJ
hey congrats on your weight loss to date

im no doctor, nor an expert, but just two thoughts.

one you may need a fill, i know many bandsters say that helps them with the weight loss after awhile

the other thought i had on reading your diet, and dont laugh, is that you may not be eating enough calories.  sometimes our bodies stall because the body feels like it is going into starvation mode and it holds on to the weight instead of letting it go.

it certainly does not sound like you are overeating at all to me.

are you drinking enough regular fluids during the day, i.e. water, crystal light, diet tea, etc.
sometimes if we dont drink enough that slows us down also.

in any case i would not stress, your body could be taking a rest, and i for one do not think its the liquid (from the broth or soup) that is slowing you down, although you could certainly try cutting it out for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

be safe and well, jacki

Most Active
Recent Topics