Pre-Op Diet Dr. Abkin

surrender44
on 2/12/09 3:25 am - union, NJ
Hey NJF, newbie here with a question.  For those of us who will have our surgery with Dr. Abkin did you have a liquid diet two weeks in advance from surgery?  I know he did not specifically(sp) put me on a ban just said try not to gain anymore weightThanks in advance
I pray to always remember newbies
After the rain comes the rainbows
w ww.myspace.com/ultranay

hockeymom8016
on 2/12/09 9:11 pm - NJ
You have a great doctor! I liked Dr. A when I met him. I had his partner, Dr. Bertha (who is awesome) and I believe it would be the same. When I went for my consult, Dr. Bertha told me they do not routinely put people on a 2 week liquid diet.  He did caution me against the "last supper syndrome" and putting on weight. When I went to my pre-op class the NP did say that people who had put on a lot of weight may have to do a two week liquid diet before surgery.  I had lost weight before surgery so I had nothing to worry about with in that regard.  I did have to do liquids the day before and a "clean out" but that was it.  Good luck to you. 

surrender44
on 2/12/09 11:34 pm - union, NJ
Thanks.  I am awaiting approval and since 1/22 my consult date I have gained 3 poundsI am looking foward to pre-op class. 

Tom C.
on 2/13/09 12:07 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

I had my Realize band operation done last year.

PRIOR to the operation, they will strongly suggest to not "eat out of control" or "diet" in order to make the operation a little easier.

Remember a few weeks prior to the operation they will take vital at will be important to "calculate" your anesthesia (among other things).

A day or two before the operation they will tell you to be on a liquid diet. And the night before the operation you will stop eating around 7:00 p.m. and NO LIQUIDS OR SOLIDS until AFTER the operation. Even if you brush your teeth, you cannot have water.

Now you could go on a liquid diet whenever you like, so you get “used" to it after the operation. But also remember, after the operation you will be on a “clear liquid" diet for 2 days (maybe longer if you don’t feel right). Then you will be on “mushy food" for 2 - 3 weeks (puddings, cream soups, cottage cheese, yogurt, oatmeal, etc). Then after your “check-up" you’ll go on “soft foods" and maybe two weeks after that you’ll be eating “normal" food.

Hope this helped.

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
surrender44
on 2/13/09 2:22 am - union, NJ
Tom, you know you always help.  Thanks for posting this information

Denise Ferriolo
on 2/13/09 1:35 am - Bayville, NJ
My surgery went well for all 6 of us that day. We all went home the same time. A few had their blood overflow removed but not me, It is painful from the gas. I was up the first day and many times the second. Pain but with the morphine pump and other pain meds I made it, Now home, eating pop, jello, milk, soup, protein shake and getting rest/ I will fill everyone in as I can sit here longer.
Denise  
PS I did not need a pre op diet but ask the doctor if you do. I heard some doctors want to shrink back the liver, but I haven't heard that from our doc. They were  and are the best.
denise
surrender44
on 2/13/09 2:21 am - union, NJ
Oh Denise, I am so grateful to see ya.  Yes three pounds so I am not going over board.  Ok ya know I am right behind ya, please keep me posted friend

Most Active
Recent Topics