Psych Appt tomorrow. Questions?

shoregurl
on 2/11/09 10:45 am - toms river, NJ
So tomorrow morning is my psych evaluation. Can anyone tell me what I can expect from this appt? Any do's or don'ts? Thanks in advance!
 Shannon  

DrMichaelSakowitz
on 2/11/09 11:35 am

Hi Shannon,

If you go the Dr Gritsus's web site you will see a tab for a page for psychological evaluation.

There you will find a link to my article "I'm fat not crazy" which addresses your concers.

Hope this helps

Dr Mike
Michael L. Sakowitz, Ph.D. is a psychologist (NJ 35SI00148700) and member of ObesityHelp's Mental Health Board.  By posting, he makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein.  This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any physical or mental condition.  No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind.  No website or informational post can take the place of seeking professional help.  If you need professional help of any kind, please seek the services of a professional or dial 911.
shoregurl
on 2/12/09 3:09 am - toms river, NJ
Thanks so much! It all went well I'm pleased to say.
 Shannon  

StaceyNJ
on 2/13/09 6:55 am - Brick, NJ
Shannon

Im glad it went well...it was a breeze for me also..not too difficult....

Good luck on your journey
Stacey

DrMichaelSakowitz
on 2/13/09 11:07 pm
might I suggest that you tell the community a little more about the experience...
Michael L. Sakowitz, Ph.D. is a psychologist (NJ 35SI00148700) and member of ObesityHelp's Mental Health Board.  By posting, he makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein.  This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any physical or mental condition.  No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind.  No website or informational post can take the place of seeking professional help.  If you need professional help of any kind, please seek the services of a professional or dial 911.
shoregurl
on 2/14/09 10:13 am - toms river, NJ
I'll admit I was nervous as to what to expect, but I was surprised how easy it was. I saw Dr. Dante Mercurio in West Caldwell. He was very professional and made me feel comfortable. He asked me basic information regarding my upbringing and family, making sure I had the support of my loved ones throughout my surgery process. We discussed the details of the procedure and it's impact on my future. He wanted to make sure I had a full understanding of what the surgery entails and to ensure I was ready. Aside from that, I also took a test. It was odd if you ask me, but he said it was for the surgeon and the support team after surgery. The questions were pertaining to how I handle life's situations. All in all, it was painless and interesting at the same time. Hope this helps someone...
 Shannon  

DrMichaelSakowitz
on 2/14/09 11:05 pm
Thanks for sharing your experience.  Sounds like he was more interested in discovering what you might have needed in the way of additional support rather than being interested only in excluding you from the proceedure.  I'm glad you found it interesting.

I'm interested in whether there were issues you wanted to explore?  Did you get the opportunity?

Dr Mike
shoregurl
on 2/15/09 9:19 am - toms river, NJ
The one thing I did ask him was what happens after surgery when those "old habits" kick in. I think I am on the right track, but of course I won't know for sure until after surgery. I have heard from many, many people that we (obese people) are "emotionally addicted" to food. I have to disagree. Some are, yes, but for some I think it's so much more. I just think we focus too much on the emotional and not on other issues.
 Shannon  

DrMichaelSakowitz
on 2/15/09 11:55 pm
You are focused on the right issue, make sure you find your answer

Good luck

Dr Mike
Most Active
Recent Topics