If you are NEW to Weight loss Post Surgery.....

Timmy R.
on 2/5/09 3:10 am - Millinocket, ME
Hello Howdee hi : )

If you just had surgery.......... follow what your surgeon has told you.
Be upbeat,....and realize before long you will have a WHOLE new you.

In reduced size even.

If you are back on regular food, I have 4 suggestions that have worked for me.

Protein.
Water.
Exercise
Vitamins.

always do what your surgeon and health care folks recommend.... but if you are plateaued... then you should consider

Are you getting enough protein?   Men ........(hey thats what I am sorry ladies) according to MY surgeon have to get 80 grams of protein a day.    I eat eggs.......cheese.... lean meats... beans (gee that makes you popular at parties the next day......... caution...upwind).... and other sources of protein.

I was taught by a wise woman about the importance of getting your protein from FOOD... I didnt know that and was terrified .........drinking supplimental WHEY protein drinks with skim milk for first five months in 2005 after *My surgery*

So... consult your surgeon... but get your protein....that is job 1 I think?

Water-
If you go to a support group for Bariatric surgery you will see folks with lil water bottles...sip sip sipping.  If you are not losing weight.............are you getting enough water?  Its easy to dehydrate.....so make sure you DONT GULP but you are getting plenty of water.

Again...talk to your surgeon about how much YOU should get a day in water.
I aim for a gallon..........I NEVER make it but normally make about 3/4 gallon.......

and yes for inquiring minds I use the restroom a lot : P

Exercise
Find something that raises your heart rate moderately, that you can do OFTEN.    I did exercises from a chair for first six months...... then I joined Toms River Fitness (near KMart*) when I lived in New Jersey..........six words

Cool pool and hot tub man.

Okay only five......words.  Oh well.

But walk, jog, do SOMETHING........ play tennis....... lift weights........ make your exercise challenging and try to do something EVERY day........but at least 4 times a week.

If you do......you will begin eventually to lose again

Again......(do I hear an echo)   TALK to your surgeon about what things you can/should/will do for exercise.

Finally
Vitamins.

No matter if you are a Lap Bander........a RNY bariatric surgery folk, or any of the other types of bariatric proceedures...

Ask your surgeeon about what type and how often.

As a Laproscopy RNY with bypass surgery guy.......... my surgeon says chewable vitamins are okay..... I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night.    I used to take more but my blood work was good so .......reduced.

That is all.

If you begin to not lose weight as always talk to your doctors,  catch one of the fine support groups that the Garden State NJ have (wegmans......... coool man) 

However the BEST ones (sorry biased)   are

Lakewood New Jersey and the Toms River Groups....... thems my peeps....... *(nod)

Hugs to all...

Sgn me
Timmy Ray S

Maine Guy (fer now)
Tom B.
on 2/5/09 8:20 am - Runnemede, NJ
Nicely stated
Weight
Consult/ Sugery/Current/Goal/lost
358.4         347     217    218   141.4
7/31/08 12/18/08-03/24/2010 

Timing is everything.

I sure hope my scale is correct.lol

http://www.myspace.com/f14tcjoe

look me up on Facebook too    
thinkingthin68
on 2/5/09 8:31 am - South Amboy, NJ
Thanks Maine guy ,I have not had my surgery done yet ,so u helped me alot..Hope all is well with you...Again Thanks for the words..
Denise
Timmy R.
on 2/5/09 9:02 am - Millinocket, ME
Hi Denise : )

You are most welcome.
My best advice is .....learn all you can....... ask lots of questions....... (we all did trust me)

It seems complicated but it is a changed lifestyle.
Soooo... be encouraged.

And promise to let folks know if you have any questions?  okay?

Be well, and Godspeed in your WLS journey Denise : )

Timmy Ray S
Most Active
Recent Topics