1 Year BANDiversary reflection:

Tom C.
on 2/3/09 1:52 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
I had my Realize band operation on January 29, 2008. This date is special for me for some many reasons. The main reason is because I consider this date as the date of my rebirth.   Going into the operation I was at the lowest point of my life. I was weighing the most I ever had (435 pounds - can't believe I will admit to this now). My weight made it difficult to do simple tasks both at work and at home. I stopped socializing. I hate not only myself, but the entire world. Many nights I prayed to the Lord to either take me, of help me find a solution. Well, with his grace, and a lot of research too, I WAS able to find a solution. For me, the Realize band was the best choice. I knew if I did not have this operation, my life would prematurely end.   The night before the operation I took pictures of myself. In theses pictures you can the anguish in my face. And in most of them I am “subtly" giving “1/2 a peace sign". As I said, I hate everything - mostly myself.   I was wheeled into the operating room just prior to 9:00 a.m., knowing I was in the capable hands of Doctor Abkin. What I didn't know was that the “old me" would have “died" at the moment I was wheeled out of the waiting area, and the “new me" would be “born" in the operating room about 30 minutes later.   For the first 10 months I lost over 140 pounds. Since November I have stayed (basically) the same weight. I will be honest, I gained a few pounds here and there (especially around Thanksgiving), but lost them rather quickly. I “cheat" every now and then, but I am also diligent in making sure I don’t get ‘too out of control’. For instance, instead of eating an entire 5 pound bag of Peanut M&M’s, I have a handful or two. I try not to “deprive" myself, because I don’t want to fail. I guess I am learning how “real people" eat. I still have 70 pounds to go until I hit my goal weight, and I don’t care how long it takes.   In this past year, I have come to realize many things. The one thing, life is a rollercoaster ride. There will be highs and lows, but the ride itself will be exhilarating.   The other thing I realized is that when it comes to WLS, no one prepares you for your gains. You gain confidence in yourself; You gain self worth; You gain relationships again (old and new); You gain a wonderful group of friend from the boards; You gain a wonderful outlook on your life and the future. Sure there are days when I feel like “a loser" then I stop and think where I was a year ago, and I then feel like “a gainer"!!   I know I wouldn’t have come this far without all your help. So THANK YOU ALL for your insight; motivation; knowledge, and kindness !!
Can’t wait to see what the next year brings !!      
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
big_ideas
on 2/3/09 4:37 am - Randolph, NJ
Dear Tom:

Happy Anniversary, and a big congratulations on your success. You are an inspiration! Maybe I'll see you at tomorrow night's rescheduled St. Clare's group?

Big_Ideas (aka Linda)

sandytoes
on 2/3/09 7:21 am
Thank you Tom for your honesty, as I read your story the tears just rolled down my cheek. I felt your pain before surgery. I am to be banded on the 22nd of May and I pray every day to make me strong enough to loose this weight one more time. I am 54 years old and have had a weight issues since I was a child. I was the embarassed little girl who had to go to the chubby girl dept.at Sears to get clothes that looked like they belonged to an old lady. I have lost this weight over and over and it comes back with friends. I need this tool to help me to keep it off. I think most of us here are in the same boat. We are professional dieters.....Thank God for this tool.
Congratulations to you...You are a sucess!!! You are still motovated!!! And you are wonderful... I wish you all the best .
SandytoesSusan
Lost the first 10 lbs. Pre-op
(deactivated member)
on 2/3/09 11:28 am - NJ
Congratulations on your FIRST year!   You have helped so many people on this board and been an inspiration to many.  You will hit your goal weight and it's not important how long it takes - you are still on the journey!

Good Luck and continued success!!
Vicki
knailnhair
on 2/3/09 10:35 pm - Milford, NJ
Wow....that was so heartfelt and the story of mine and so many people who live with this disease of obseity. You made me cry, not in a bad way tho, in a good way.  I'm not alone.  You've been there, gone thru the ups and down, lost, gained and lost again and you're so inspirational!!! 
Thank you for this wonderful story!!! 

I'm so excited to be taking this journey with you by my side!! Thank you for being so very supportive!!!

Keep up the awesome job you're doing and HAPPY RE-BIRTHDAY!!!!!
Love,
Kimi
laura9488
on 2/4/09 10:38 am - Denville, NJ
Tom
Congratulations on your sucess!
You are truly a winner!  Thanks for sharing.
Laura
amysue36
on 2/4/09 7:01 pm - Pittstown, NJ
I just LOVED reading this.  I had my RNY surgery one week ago.  It's a little tough right now, but easier than NOT having had the surgery.  I am 55 and have also been heavy my whole life.  I am praying this is finally the help I need. 
Right now, I walk and drink. walk and drink.  walk and drink.  I would never have thought a day could go by where I wasn't hungry.  Now it is happening.
I read the boards daily and you are an inspiration.  Good luck and keep it up (or down!).
Amy
huntermom
on 2/4/09 7:17 pm
"Tom,
I have been watching your posts since last summer.  You have motivated me more than you can know.  I was banded by Dr. Bertha on 10/13/08 and have lost 30 lbs.  I was 248 highest weight, 237 surgery weight and 207 now.  I, too, have gotten my life back.   Thank you for being you! 
Huntermom
Seminar 7/25/08
Dietician & Psych 8/11/08
Consult & 3 hour class 9/24/08
Ins approval 10/1/08
Banded 10/13/08
     Nicholas Bertha, MD
     Florham Park, NJ
StaceyNJ
on 2/5/09 12:55 pm - Brick, NJ
Tom

Congratulations and a BIG thank you for the inspiration you have provided to so many people. I think all of us can relate to your story...it hits home.

Can't wait to be a fellow Bertha/Abkin Bandster!!!   :-)  19 days and counting

Stacey

Tom C.
on 2/6/09 1:55 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I really don't deserve it.

Stacey good luck !! Know I am here if you need !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active
Recent Topics