low income and lap band

iluvcc
on 1/8/09 8:45 am
is there anyone here who is low income and on the New Jersey FAMILY CARE with an hmo? that has got the lap band?

thanks

Karen B.
on 1/9/09 12:05 am - Lawrenceville, NJ
I actually work in the NJFamilyCare office.  I just asked one of the enrollment managers and their response was that all of the HMO's will cover bariatric surgery if they determine that it is necessary as 'preventive care' - what type(s) of surgery was unclear.

You need to contact your HMO and ask them.
 So far, so good.

iluvcc
on 1/9/09 12:58 am, edited 1/9/09 12:59 am

thank you very much for the info, i'm getting different conflicting answers from people (friends) that probably don't know anyway.

i had Horizon NJ Health but my income has went up and they cut me off, but the sad thing is work is sooooooooo slow im afraid i will get laid off or hours cut - but then i will probably be eligible again and continue with my 6mo diet and so on.

the sad thing is if i loose this job and don't get the lapband to drop some weight, its going to be very hard to find another job.  i CANNOT stand at all.  and office jobs around here are scarese.
i'm scared to death my son and i will be homeless...........ssi turned me down twice.

but thank you, maybe i have a chance.  it gives me hope.

chell1957
on 1/28/09 5:42 am - Woodbury, NJ
I understand all you say.  I had VSG  on NJ health care and I am a light weight who had a number of  commodities. Losing your job would be bad but could be a blessing in disguise as you may become eligible again for the insurance. Should that happen, I would beat feet to the doctor and get things started. I think they will require a documented weight loss history. Get yourself into a program, Weigh****chers or something at a hospital. Tank the results...don't lose much if any weight, regain it back again. By the time all this comes to fulition you will have your documented diet, the doctor will have it recorded. Take pictures of yourself. I did not read your profile so some of this may have to do with how much weight you need to lose. Good luck.

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/private.php
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/

Melissa C.
on 1/9/09 2:12 pm - vineland, NJ
I have AmeriChoice thru NJ Family Care & they approved me for lap band, then before my surgery I changed it & decided RNY instead & they approved. If you are working less hours now, or making less $ re apply & bring them your last couple paystubs & just re apply be persistent! & GOOD LUCK!
Karen B.
on 1/12/09 12:21 am - Lawrenceville, NJ
I agree with Melissa - the income limits were increased last year, and it's now 2009, which means that the levels against which you will be determined will probably increase as well.  So, even if you are denied the first time; make sure you are being determined against the current levels.
 So far, so good.

Most Active
Recent Topics