Need Info Quickly!!!

jodybob
on 12/28/08 11:08 am - NJ
Amu
Dr. JB is the best I just had my surgery on the 24th of November.  His office staff was wonderful I had my surgery 30 days from my first appointment they just made it happened.  They do have a program fee.  I recommend you give the office a call.

Good Luck
Heather S.
on 12/28/08 6:24 am
Hi AmySue,

Dr. Abkin performed my surgery in March of 2003 he was excellent and so was his partner Dr. Bertha.  I say go and meet him first so you can get a  feel for him and see how you like him, I did I did not have any problems with him and found him to be very knowledgeable and professional.
Diane C.
on 12/29/08 5:34 am - NJ
Dr. JB was my surgeon and I am very pleased with the results.  I am now 18 months post-op and have had no issues at all.  I was originally referred to Dr. Abkin and I opted to go to JB because he was closer to home for me.  I have heard great things about Abkin as well, though.

I would go meet with both offices and see what you think.  Dr. JB's staff is responsive and friendly.  Just make sure that you discuss all aspects of your care.  There are fees that JB's office charges for program and ongoing nutrition support.  I was somewhat blindsided by this right before my surgery as it was newly implemented at that time.  The fee is something you want to be sure you understand no matter what doctor you choose as some have it and some do not.  The fee is not covered by insurance so be sure to know what you will be putting out of pocket before you start all your testing, etc.  Good luck on your journey.

Highest 316/ Pre Op 307/ Current 215 / Goal 130

HarvestMoon1974
on 12/29/08 6:15 pm - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14
Dr abkin is wonderful. He performed my lap rny in oct of '05 and I had no complications and an easy recovery. I had heard good things about him from friends whose surgeries he performed, so I felt pretty confident going to him. After I met him I knew I would be in good hands.
Best of luck to you on your wls journey.

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

canlbnj
on 12/30/08 8:13 am - fanwood, NJ
I will add my 2 cents - ditto'ing what everyone else said about Dr. Jean-Baptiste.  He did my surgery a week ago (12/22) and I am thrilled.  The before and after support from the office is also awesome!

Unfortunately, I see this thread is not helping you much in making a decision.  Maybe it would make sense for you to meet with the drs in person and get a sense of "chemistry" as well?  You might also wish to explore what their pre and post surgery diets are, as I've discovered how widely it varies from doc to doc. (for example, Dr. JB does not require a pre op diet except 2 days before to prepare for surgery).

Good luck with whatever you do!
Cheryl        Lap RNY 12/22/08

amysue36
on 1/1/09 7:43 pm - Pittstown, NJ

Interesting about Dr. JB's fees...I have never heard of that before. 

I have called Dr. Abkin's office because they are closer to home and also do the surgery at St. Peter's, which is my first choice.  If I am not happy, I will call Dr. JB.   The only thing I find interesting (read, annoying!) is that I HAVE to attend a seminar for Dr. Abkin before they will even allow me to make an appointment...strange. 
At any rate, the seminar is next week and I'm scheduled for it.  I'll take it from there.

No one said this would be easy, but I am really, really frustrated right now.  I wish I had known all the insurance info FIRST. 

Thanks again and I will keep you all posted.
Amy

amysue36
on 1/7/09 7:43 pm - Pittstown, NJ
UPDATE!!!!

Okay so I spoke to both doctors, and my personal doctor made a recomendation - So I have an appointment on Friday to see Dr. JB - - - what is SO exciting is that Dr. JB said he may be able to keep my original surgery date of 1/22 which is only 2 weeks away!!!!!!!!  WOO HOO!

I am very excited and nervous all at once.  Any calming words would be wonderful!

Thank you all again!!!!
Amy
Sheri A.
on 1/7/09 11:41 pm
Wow, glad it worked out. Dr. J-B is great and he can work miracles! I was hoping you are free Saturday to attend the peer to peer support group I run in Scotch Plains...it's a hike but worth the trip. Someone from Flemington, a lady named Ro, is coming. We can help you very much with all the pre op stuff. We meet at the RWJ Fitness & Wellness Center in Scotch Plains. If you email me: [email protected], I'll give you all the details.
charla1019
on 1/14/09 8:09 am - Wayne, PA
Amy,
 I am so glad that you get to keep your original surgery date. It is so frustrating trying to get in. I have DR. Abkin and I absolutely love love love him!!! He is so great! The only thing is that he is so busy that if you went with him, you would definitely be getting it done in Feb or March. I say stick with DR. JB if he can get you in 1/22, plus sounds like he is a good one too. Just my thoughts!!

Good Luck and keep us posted
Charla
ohboyohboy
on 1/20/09 10:18 am, edited 1/20/09 10:25 am - Perth Amboy, NJ
Dr. JB's program fee is expensive... $1,850.00.  Wowww!  You have to have it all paid before you get your surgery.  It's going to be tough to get the money together, but it will be worth it in the end.  I was told by the office manager Cigna only requires 30 days in a weight loss program, but from what I hear, Cigna requires 6 months.  Does anyone know if this is true or not?  Thanks in advance for your help!!
Most Active
Recent Topics