Need Help Getting Motivated!

Danielle B.
on 11/30/08 4:38 am - Hamburg, NJ
OK, so I'm not going to complain about my weight loss since I am relatively happy with my results...BUT...I am aware that it won't keep coming off if I don't start helping it!!!!

I understand that exercise has got to be a big part of this journey...but I just can't get there!  I walked a bit while it was still warm...but since it got cold I don't even do that.  My husband lifts weights and i don't even join him!  I can't get motivated to exercise and work out!!!!

Anyone else have this problem?  I know that right now is the prime time for me to start doing this...people have told me that 3-12 months is the prime weight loss time and that exercise really is the key...and I don't want to miss the boat!

Any suggestions??

Danielle
k00l_katt
on 11/30/08 7:58 am - Jackson, NJ
you and i seem to be having the same issue. but i am starting to show as far as loose skin is concerned. personally putting on music that keeps u moving helps me work out. i do push ups against the wall for my arms and i do alot of dancing for my thighs and legs. try to find some music that gets you moving. techno and some hip hop/"crunk" helps me get moving and stay moving!!
Goldfibluqq
on 11/30/08 9:07 am - Brick, NJ
Congrats on your weight loss.  My surgery date is 12/15.  I was encouraged to start excercising now.  I find if I do water arobics it is so much less stress on my joints.  With a good instructor, you do get a good work out..
(deactivated member)
on 11/30/08 9:26 am - NJ
Hey Girl!

Ya gotta get up and moving!  It's a great time of year to go Mall walking - you can window shop or walk the aisles of the stores searching for those difficult presents.  Just don't buy them on your walks - go back later and get them (it makes you walk even more!)

Find a substitute for the "skinny jeans" to help motivate you - something you really want to get into and put them where you see them as inspiration.   Weight lifting with hubby will help but you still need some cardio too - walking is probably the least expensive and easiest way to get going.

Wish we were closer - we could schedule a few "walks" to get you out & about!

Good Luck!
Vicki
Sheri A.
on 12/1/08 3:56 am
I recommend you join Curves. It's a good program for lazy exercisers. I have sent several bariatric friends there and they are losing inches like mad! It's inexpensive, fun and not time consuming...you can get in and out with stretching in 40 minutes. go on the way home from work and first thing on the weekends. I hate exercise too but it's a necessary evil and I do it 5x a week. I've tried tapes and walking, just too boring! Getting to a gym where you have socializing with others works wonders! Good luck.

PS-Go to support groups too!
DrMichaelSakowitz
on 12/5/08 7:25 am
Hi D

There is a program associated with Hackensack hospital, check it out

If you act like a thin person for long enough you ecome one!

Good luck

Dr Mike
Michael L. Sakowitz, Ph.D. is a psychologist (NJ 35SI00148700) and member of ObesityHelp's Mental Health Board.  By posting, he makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein.  This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any physical or mental condition.  No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind.  No website or informational post can take the place of seeking professional help.  If you need professional help of any kind, please seek the services of a professional or dial 911.
Mrylln
on 12/5/08 10:50 am - Highlands, NJ
Gee, you sound just like me. I was thrilled a month ago to be able to walk with my husband and dog, but now the cold scares my bones. I have a zillion excuses not to shake it up. And so I get anxious about not utilizing the honeymoon to its fullest.

That said...

I did go to the beach a couple of times this week; walked and even climbed a lot of stairs.
I'm dancing whenever there's a good song, and generally do more of everything. I can pick things off the floor, stand to cook and tidy up, and don't dread the stairs anymore...

So what am I complaining about?

Dunno. Maybe Christmas.

So, I'm sitting here thinking about it, and hoping I'll figure it out and get happy again.

Good luck,
Mary Ellen
Most Active
Recent Topics