THOUGHTS for a HAPPY THANKSGIVING

DrMichaelSakowitz
on 11/24/08 2:35 am
Hi All,

I thought I'd offer some thoughts for the thanksgiving/christmas holiday season since so many patients have been asking questions.

Many people, it seems, reward themselves for good behavior with the very behavior they are trying to avoid.  How many of you, for example have said to yourself, well you have dieted well over the past week so you deserve a dessert on the weekend.  It is true that you deserve a reward, but cake, who are you kidding....

Remember, your obesity and your problem with food does not take a holiday because there is a holiday.  Stay on focus, thanksgiving is just another day.  I know that the satisfaction you will have from staying the program will last longer than the satisfaction from the excess food will last.

I know I may sound like a hard ass but.....would you advocate that your alcholic brother in law reward his sobriety with wine because it is a holiday?

Good luck and try to enjoy the real blessings of the holiday season; family and friends

Dr Mike
Michael L. Sakowitz, Ph.D. is a psychologist (NJ 35SI00148700) and member of ObesityHelp's Mental Health Board.  By posting, he makes no promises, guarantees, representations, or warranties, expressed or implied, and assumes no duty or liability with regard to the information contained herein.  This post is not intended to diagnose or treat any physical or mental condition.  No professional services are being rendered and nothing is intended to provide such services or advice of any kind.  No website or informational post can take the place of seeking professional help.  If you need professional help of any kind, please seek the services of a professional or dial 911.
mystic
on 11/24/08 8:09 am - manchester, NJ
have a great holiday dr. mike

be safe and well, and i agree with you a holiday is just another day, and we need to take our joy from friends and family.

jacki

JenStock1970
on 11/25/08 12:27 pm - Bay Shore Of, NJ
Well said, Dr. Mike.  Thanks and have a great holiday!
HW 495/Consult 426/SW 363/Current 182
"If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."-- Clint Eastwood

"Don't compromise yourself.  You are all you've got."-- Janis Joplin

Most Active
Recent Topics