Dr. Aguirre

wafflegirl
on 4/20/06 8:16 am - baton rouge, la
I would like to know how long was your down time from the open procedure and why did you choose this procudre vs going to other in Mexico that went lap.Also did many of you say to let him take the tubes and drains out?Please any advice on Mexico surgery will help me.Thanks for your help...
Debbie L
on 4/20/06 8:16 am - Western, Pa
I had my surgery in August of 2004 with Dr. Aguirre. I read all of his patient profiles, e-mailed his daughter Rosella for information first. I have been told by several local Dr.s that open is better they are able to see leaks and there is a less chance of knicking anything during surgery. I was able to go back to work as a nurse after 2 weeks my employer made me take 4 weeks. I had the staples and drains removed before I came home. I was there for 10 days was able to go out and about sight seeing and shopping about 4 days after surgery. I have had no problems so far and am really enjoing life for the first time in many years. I wish you lots of luck in your journey to a happier and healthier life. Debbie L 289/195/hope to get to 165 (these last 30 lbs are hard to lose but I won't give up trying)
DW
on 4/20/06 8:56 am - Galveston, TX
Renee, You might want to start reading Dr Aguire's patient's profiles on his forum. I have pictures of my scar on my profile. Good Luck Dot
Annette L.
on 4/21/06 1:28 pm - Farmington Hills , MI
Cindy this is wonderful. Congratulations on a job well done. You look great. God bless you, Annette
Ferchie
on 4/21/06 5:23 am - Twin Falls, ID
I chose Dr A because a good friend of mine had her surgery by him about 1 1/2 years before mine and hers went off with out a hitch. I also chose him because he does the open peocedure and I would rather have someone able to look right in there and see what they are doing as opposed to through a scope. He could see right away if there was an issue - leak, nick, whatever.. Also I am considered a SMO (super morbid obese) and the lap procedure would be almost impossible on me as my mid section was very large. I was down quite awhile though almost a month and a half, not due to something Dr A did though. I have some crazy back problems and not being able to use my tummy muscles made it hard to do just about anything because I couldn't use my back muscles either. My friend that inspired me to go to him in the first place was up and around 3 days after surgery and was shopping and sightseeing. make sure you do your research though and do what is best for you. Take care and good luck - Jeremy
Just Me
on 4/21/06 2:24 pm - Happy Place, TN
Use Dr. Aguirre... There is an ad that often asks why have an OPEN gastric bypass if you can afford having it laparoscopically... My answer is.. Because Dr. Aguirre's skill at OPEN surgery exceeds the skills of those who perform the "safer" lapoprascopic surgery. Lap is only better if the surgeon performing the lap is HIGHLY skilled. There are many complications with a lap, and the learning curve is much higher... where do you want to be on someone's learning curve? At the beginning when small errors can be made? or As I did, choose to have an open surgery with a doctor who has performed them since the late 1980s or 90s... with a VERY high success rate... I went in and out without any complications... This is not to say that some people haven't experienced any... but his success rate if superior... Also.. Mexico isn't for everyone or the faint of heart... But I, personally, consider it safe.
Amy Williams
on 7/15/06 12:29 pm
The magazine is only at this time sold online. If you would like to subscribe you can click on the "store" tab at the top of the website or the "OH magazine" tab at the top. It's $25 for a yearly subcription with 6 issues. I'll be sure to pass on your thanks to everyone else. Amy
GW
on 4/22/06 6:10 am - Weatherford, TX
I had my open with Dr. A in March of 2005. I have now lost 132 pounds and have never regretted it. Before my insurance turned me down, forcing me to look 'south', I wanted the open. I know that sounds crazy, but hear me out! Not only for the above mentioned reasons, (nicks, leaks, etc...) but I was told by Bariatric Centers of Texas that it was considered the gold standard. Higher success rates and less complications. If I am going to pay for something, I want the gold! I know I made the best decision for me! I feel great! I was down about 3 weeks and could have gone back to work then, but I enjoyed the time away and was in no rush to go back! I think if I hadn't gotten bronchitis with all the coughing (OUCH!) I would have been up a week sooner. And yes, I stayed and let him remove all the tubes!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views