New To This Site

verito2780
on 4/8/06 3:47 am - Evanston, IL
RNY on 07/25/13
Hello, My name is Veronica and I am 26 years old and I have hit my weight high of 285 lbs.. I have been looking into doing the LapBand. I have no insurance but I have looked into having it done in Mexico.... If anyone has a little advice for me I would greatly appreciate that. Thank you for your time.
psgraham29
on 4/8/06 4:47 am - Seattle, WA
As you read our messages you'll find most of us our thrilled with our decision and our results. The two most often asked questions on this board are, who should be my surgeon and (for LapBanders) who in my area will do my fills? If going back to Mexico for fills isn't practical for you, you will need both questions answered. Who should be your surgeon? Dr. Rumbaut, of course. Others will have other answers of fine surgeons. I'd read the profiles (by clicking on the profile box under the message of a poster) of people who have seen various surgeons you are considering. Some folks write nothing. Others go to great length to journal their experience. I found it very helpful in selecting my surgeon. The profile information made my decision much easier. They provided unbiased information about the surgeon, the hospital, the medical team, and the whole experience. Since I found other's profiles to be so helpful, I continue to update mine -- just not so regularly anymore. For follow-ups and fills? For follow-ups most of us use our primary care provider/physician. You should see if yours is willing. For fills? First I suggest talking to the surgeons or surgeons offices of those you are considering. Ask them who in your area can do fills? If they have no names, visit the website for the American Society of Bariatric Surgeons (asbs.org) and choose locate a surgeon. Look for ones that have "foll" after their information. Those are doctors willing to follow-up on other's patients. Then, call around. Not all of them are willing to do fills on patients who had surgery in Mexico. As you learn more, you'll ask more questions. Great. We are here for you too. -Pam 320/210/150
Kaye21
on 4/8/06 4:52 am - Broken Arrow, OK
I am also pretty new and am wanting to go to Dr. Joya but I'm going for the gastric bypass but he also does lapband. His website is www.drjoya.com. Hope this helps!
verito2780
on 4/11/06 2:56 pm - Evanston, IL
RNY on 07/25/13
thank you, i will definately look into it. ~Veronica
NeedHelp
on 4/10/06 1:39 am - Rockford, IL
Veronica, I hear the Wish Center in Downer's Grove will take LapBand patients if they are 6 weeks out and do not have complications. You might give them a call. Also, what did you find out about hospitals and surgeon fees around Chicago? Kim M.
verito2780
on 4/11/06 2:58 pm - Evanston, IL
RNY on 07/25/13
Kim, thanks for the advise...I have reasearched the chicago area only to find that it is very expenisive. Anywhere from $17,000 to $20,000. But I'm still searching. thanks again ~veronica
Robbin
on 4/11/06 3:56 am - OK
i am going in Jan, let us know who you decide to to go to. I'm still trying to work out which one too.
verito2780
on 4/11/06 2:59 pm - Evanston, IL
RNY on 07/25/13
I will definately keep you updated Robbin. I ask that you keep me updated as well. Good luck and thanks again. ~Veronica
Robbin
on 4/13/06 7:55 am - OK
Veronica, Have you gotten any closer to picking a surgeon? I'm hunting prices again. If you found out any prices of different surgeons would you please let me know. I had them at one time, but gone with the wind I guess. Thank you very much, Robbin
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views