Follow-ups?

Kaye21
on 4/7/06 2:05 pm - Broken Arrow, OK
Do you have to go back to Mexico for follow-ups?
Lunita
on 4/8/06 1:41 am - OR
Hi Felicia, It may depend on the type of "follow-up" you need. My sister had her surgery last May by Dr. Aguirre and has never been back for a follow-up. She has her own primary physician here in Alaska do all her blood work to make sure she is getting proper nutrition and has good levels in her blood. She has had no surgical complication- stricture, leaks, hernias- that would require a trip back to Dr. Aguirre for repair. I too just had surgery by Dr. Aguirre and have not had to go for follow-ups (in Mex.) As a matter of fact, the Dr.s down there know that your follow-up care will be with your current Dr. or with one you have found that is willing to follow up on your blood work. I just know that Dr. Aguirre strongly urged me that if any complications arise he would prefer I return to him for treatment and correction. I hope this helps to answer your question.
bonnied
on 4/9/06 12:36 pm - St. Albans, VT
Hi Felicia! Follow ups are different depending on which surgery you choose. Lapbands require "fills" and you need to find a doc who will fill your band. You need to call and make it very clear your band was placed in Mexico, as many US docs will fill another surgeons band, but refuse to touch one placed in Mexico. Call first and save yourself a trip. I am not sure what bolld work is required with a band, but I assume slim to none as there is no malabsorption with a band. RNY patients usually only require blood work. Sometimes a nutritionist. Many PCPs are familiar with WLS and have had patients who have gone through it. Have a chat with yours and make sure he/she is willing to "take you on" in that respect. Most of them don't have a problem with it. For either surgery, I recommend you find a hospital near you that does WLS. If by the slim chance you have a major complication, you need to know where to go. You don't want to go to the hospital in your town if they do not do WLS, you could end up having a procedure or surgery that you don't need! Find out where the closest WLS is, have their name and hospital available just in case. If you can find a non-profit hospital that does WLS, all the better, as they cannot refuse to take care of you. Any non-profit hospital that receives federal funds legally cannot refuse to care for ANY patient. Even though I am very very far away from Mexico (northern Vermont, near Canada) I knew that in an emergency, I would be ok because my local hospital does hundreds of RNYs each year and I would get the services I needed. Good luck! Bonnie lap rny 6/3/05 264/163/149
Robbin
on 4/12/06 9:29 am - OK
I probably already told you this, old age setting in, but Dr. Keith in Norman will do fills for you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views