Followup in the US??????

Carolina M.
on 3/15/06 5:21 pm - Miami, FL
Hi, I'm having surgery in my native Colombia in June, the problem i forsee is the followup, everybody is always saying how they went to their 3 month or 5 etc.. apointments, well i can't be going back and forth, and i'm only staying a month in Colombia, so my question is how has your followup experience been in the US after having the surgery abroad?? are there even surgeons who are willing to do followups for someone elses patient??? or does a general practice doctor do them?? also what if i have complications?? Sorry for the questionare I'm just worried about this, however i can't afford to have WLS here. Thank you, Carol.
bonnied
on 3/15/06 11:03 pm - St. Albans, VT
Are you having a band or RNY? Your primary care physician can follow up with you if it's RNY. The follow up for RNY is basically lab work and occasionally a nutritionist visit. I have gone with a friend to her surgeons for a follow up and they just reviewed what she was eating, how well she was doing with her vtamins and her weight loss along with some blood work. We drove 3 hours for that. I'm glad my PCP does it and saves me the long trips. My PCP has had many patients who have had RNY, so he is comfortable following me. You should discuss this with your doc before you have your surgery to make sure. If it's a band, you need a "fill doc" to adjust your band. I've seen many postings on this board about fill docs in Florida who seem to be very good! Good luck! Bonnie lap rny 6/3/05 264/164/149 100 pounds lost, 15 to go!
Toots
on 3/16/06 8:37 am - Beautiful, WA
Hi Carol, I had the lap-band surgery in Mexico and it can be difficult to find follow-up for a fill...even after I had arranged for it prior to surgery! The Dr in Mexico used a size of Inamed band not used in the USA and it is definitely complicating things. Which surgery are you having? Best of luck to you. Toots
egoffin
on 3/17/06 2:08 pm - Tampa, FL
Hi Carol, I had surgery in Tijuana on March 10th. You can get fills if you got to FillcentersUSA.com and put in your zipcode. It will list the closest centers to you that will take Mexico or other patients. It helped me out alot going to that site. I have no regrets going to Mexico--it saved me alot of money since my insurance didn't play out as I wanted to. It will only cost me $155 for a fill with flouroscopy. I am going at the end of April. Good luck on your journey! If you need any info feel free to email me. ((Hugs)) Liz
Carolina M.
on 3/18/06 5:22 am - Miami, FL
Thank you you guys are Angels!! HUGS to all!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views