looking for the right doctor

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/06 8:49 am - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Luna! No, this is Dr. Salvador Valencia. I checked Dr. Aguirre out first, but he only does the Open RNY and I wanted to have it done laparoscopically and then a nurse from Fontana told me about him. He did her surgery in Tijuana. Then I went to see him at UCLA and made the decision to have him as my surgeon. He is now doing all his south of the border cases in a hospital in Ensenada. I don't think he has paid advertisement here though. I got this links for him: http://www.uclabariatrics.mednet.ucla.edu/aboutsurgery/surgery_meet_valencia.htm http://www.bajasurgical.com I hope this helps somebody else. Will keep you posted. God bless, Tina
gabriela
on 3/8/06 11:30 am - MI
Hi Tina, Hey I am sorry about the earlier post. I wasnt aware it was in Mexico. I looked up your docter but I couldnt find him in the UCLA website. Anyways sorry for sounding mad I really wasnt. Its just that ever sense I chose to have surgery in Mexico people every where become some what negative about the whole thing. Well again sorry. I didnt mean to come off that way. I a really do wish you luck with your recovery? So when did you have your surgery? Well GOD bless. Gabriela
(deactivated member)
on 3/8/06 12:00 pm - Los Angeles, CA
Hi Gabriela: My surgery is until next month. Glad to put this behind us. See you, Tina
LinZhi's Mum
on 3/7/06 10:08 pm - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
Connie, I think you and Jolene are talking about someone I too read about in testimonial. My surgery buddy and I were quite concerned. She posted maybe twice, and we tried to email her and got no response. I did confront her, on some issues. One being, in the handbook you recieve it states not sugary drinks...like Ensure. She states she was told to drink Ensure.....I questioned that. There, in my opinion, there were few more complaints, I could not justify or feel confidant in. I did speak to Dr. Joya and Nathalie, there were some complications, but there was also some non complaince in this situation too. One being, not staying in PV the time Dr. Joya asks you too. This 1 major complaint, shook me up a bit, but after asking around, and gut feeling....I just decided....sometimes...NO matter what....your not going to have 100% satisfication in anything. I know when I was in PV, I was asked to go see a pt, who had some complications, and had to go back in for more surgery cause of bleeding. After visiting her, she "did NOT" follow any pre op diet, Nothing! She was really ugly acting, and totally non complaint with everything in hospital. I guess what I am trying to say is....the docs tell us rules that are to be followed...to help intrust good turnouts! Hugs, Sandy
bonnied
on 3/7/06 8:03 am - St. Albans, VT
I chose Dr. Rumbaut because of his excellent qualifications, testamonials and the ability to give me the surgery I chose, lap rny. His cost is $14500, my total trip, airfare, hotel, etc was $16000. He is the most expensive in Mexico, but well worth it. I got what I wanted, by an excellent, well-respected surgeon in a fabulous state of the art hospital! I'd check him out. I looked and looked and was not able to find anyone who was not satisfied with Dr. R or his hospital. I found plenty of people who were not saisfied with their results (many WLS patients are not satisfied, it's not specific to one doc), but not wih the surgeon, surgery or care they received. Good luck and God bless Bonnie lap rny 6/3/05 264/164/149 100 pounds lost, 15 untill "normal"
lmsmith
on 3/7/06 9:41 am - Burnaby, Canada
I chose Dr Joya because of all the great stuff I read about him. My brother also had his done by Dr Joya and was really happy with his decision. I know that I made the right decision as it was a great experience and I am feeling wonderful now!!! Leanne LAP RNY - Dec 16/05 Dr Joya - PV Mexico 274/247/192/145
jojohn95971
on 3/8/06 1:30 pm - quincy, CA
again wow this many responses was more then i expected, thank you everyone. i think i have decided on joya but my husband still like aguirre because he went to med school in the states, i think im winning though because its me having the surgery and i dont want the scar!! no i honestly do not want the additional complications like the wound opening. boy my family sure has mixed reviews about this though
BeeHappe
on 3/9/06 7:31 am - Hinton, IA
RNY on 08/09/05 with
Hi Jolene: You got some good responses on here. You just have to read everything you can and make your own decision. It's a big enough decision going to Mexico, then you have to pick the doc. Well I hope that you pick the one you feel the most comfortable with. I think they all have their pro and cons and I think they all have had their complications. They are human!!! I hope that you have great luck with which ever doc you go to. Take care, Jen 275/188/150?
psgraham29
on 3/10/06 12:05 am - Seattle, WA
It sounds like you've picked your surgeon - and he does a good job. I had Dr. Rumbaut and I was thrilled. My suggestion in getting the "right" doctor? Reading profiles of folks that had their surgery "South of the Border". From some of them you can read what happened, day by day, for their surgeries and before and after care. It was from the profiles I saw the little details that made me decide Dr. Rumbaut was the right surgeon for me. I've lost 105 pounds, I have 65 to go. I'm thrilled with the decision I made and am continuing to work the weight loss. -Pam
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/06 1:05 am - Los Angeles, CA
HI Jolene, I had RNY with Dr. Mikler in Bogota, Colombia, he is very professional and have a very affordable all inclusive package, If what you look for is a Lap Band, he performs a surgery called sleeve gastrectomy that has the same effects as the band but you dont have to worry about the fillings or have something starnge inside your body. You should talk to him before make any decision. www.byebyeobesity.com Good Luck!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views