QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS!

sindarella
on 3/3/06 12:03 am - New Castle, IN
QUESTION NUMBER 1) do you have to have a pass port to go? I am having Lap RNY with Dr. Joya.. around the first of April. Matter fact April 5th. I have to get my ducks in a row..LOL! That will be the week my son is on spring break and he and his girlfriend are going to florida... Not to crazy about it, but he is almost 18 and she is already 18.. It's her senior year and it's always a big thing here to make a trip with seniors to florida... SCARZZZZ MOM though.. 2) do cell phones work good there? I have a nation wide plan, but not sure how well towers and things might be in Mexico.. ( i know it's not a third world country lol, but...) 3) How did you take the rest of your money down there? I was thinking of taking it in pennies!! lol!! jk.. No, did you take money order or will they take debit card.. I think if they took a debit card my bank would put hold on it because you can only take up to $10,000 off at a time..securtiy reasons I have it set that way. 4) Food!! I know we are on liquid diets, but what did you do for food and what did you eat? Like can you have applesauce, or cottage cheese? 5) How does he do the leak test? Is it during surgery, or afterwards? Well I think that about does it for now!! So many of you have already been a big help in many ways!! Thank you all and hope your all doing well.... Connie
drhedg01
on 3/3/06 2:02 am - Louisville, KY
RNY on 08/15/05 with
Hi! Great choice with Dr. Joya. He's fantastic! 1) You need your birth certificate at a minimum. 2) I had Cingular so I did the "North America" plan for a month and my phone worked 90 percent of the time. 3) I took it in certified checks. Break them up in two so you don't get caught by customs for bringing in over $10K. Gerald should know more about this. 4) At the hospital, you're good to go. Post-hospital, Natalie drove us to the store and we stocked up on liquids. Then we lived on the room service soup! You CANNOT have applesauce or any of that. 5) He did our leak test during surgery. I don't know if that has changed. Good luck. I bugged Gerald constantly so don't hesitate to call him! You're in good hands! Donna 333/238/165
LinZhi's Mum
on 3/3/06 3:46 am - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
First of all Connie, Congratulations. 1) you will need a original Birth Certificate, and another proof of ID, drivers lic. If you do not have orginal BC, you have to get certified copy. 2. I do not know about cell phones I have international plan at home, since my husband is british. So we planned to have him call each day at designated time. Call your cell phone provider. 3. Gerald will tell you about money. I was alone, Nathalie kept all my purse and stuff locked in her car, til the next day when I was out of surgery. I had the 2 certified checks, and I brought cash, and used my American express for hotel. this was my only complaint about hotel, the lobby did not have a ATM, the ATM was around the corner about 1 block...but was out of order. Then Walmart has ATM and it was out of order. It was my last day leaving, so I did get cash at airport. 4. This is what I did. I took me some crystal light packets, tea bags, envelopes of broth, SF hot choc....then after getting to resort, I bought a hot pot...15 bucks or so...and used in room, I could make my own hot drinks. when you go to grocery store in PV, they have WONDERFUL SF drinnks in bottles. There was all kinds of flavors. There was one Lime one, just like a virgin margarita!! You will not start protien drinks til after you get home. They will review and go over all dietary plans...and you will get booklet. 5. He does leak test in surgery...then the last day you are in hospital.....you will get a YUMMY bright blu ****tail!!! NOT! One of my surgery buddies did her test, and she said it was little bitter....oh my..she got the blue lips and mouth. So the morning I was to go to resort...I got all dressed up, put lipstick on..to help protect my lips from being blu. I walked down to cafeteria and watched the cruise ships and drank my dye. IT was not too bad..really. It was only about 4 oz. Anyway...I was walking the halls and so proud, and here come Dr. Joya, walking by...I said...I drank my blue ****tail...HE said...I can tell!!!! My blu mouth gave it away!!!! LOL so Connie, I know it will be pretty quick after your surgery, but it would be so cool if you could save pennies and come back June for Dr. Joya's reunion gathering. Let me know if you have any other questions. Sandy
sindarella
on 3/3/06 4:15 am - New Castle, IN
Thank you so much for all the information!!! It has helped me soooo much.. I hope things go as well for me as they have for you.. Keep up the good work... connie
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/06 11:34 am - Conway, AR
Lap Band on 03/27/06 with
I'm probably late... 1) no passport; just driver's license and official birth certificate. 2) I understand Alltel and Verizon work well; an international phone card is supposed to be the ticket. 3) Take everything in 20's or less. Have lots of dollars for tipping. 4) The hotel is used to making chicken broth for the newly banded. Lots of folks go to WalMart (by the hotel) and get an ice chest and fill it with water, apple juice, etc. 5) Don't know about the leak test. I'm being banded on the 27th. I have a great letter from someone who was banded with all this amazing info. If you email me with your email address, I'll forward it to you. Bridget
NeedHelp
on 3/4/06 9:30 am - Rockford, IL
Bridget, I am deciding between Joya and Rumbaut if insurance doesn[t come through. I would love to know some of the very same things. What is this amazing info you can share from a letter you received. I am looking forward to lap rny not banding though. Kim M.
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/06 11:36 am - Conway, AR
Lap Band on 03/27/06 with
Sorry, Connie...I was on the lap band wagon! LOL
Just Me
on 3/3/06 1:15 pm - Happy Place, TN
CELL PHONE... Whatever carrier you now use, contact them three different times and verify you have 1) have a phone / model / style of phone that will work with the mghz of Mexico cells 2) Make sure your cell phone account allows you to make international calls... 3) Sometimes the doctors will allow you to use theirs, as my doctor Dr. Aguirre did... as well as the use of a computer for online chatting. Also, consider phone rental down there... kinda hard, but maybe the doctor will provide extra info prior to your departure. Applesauce, personally, I say give a big rest or else use sugar free applesauce. Attempt to eat protein during those early days. With that in mind, cottage cheese is a good choice, but caution.. you can "fill" your stomach quickly that way.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views