Reassurance Needed

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/06 7:11 am - Conway, AR
Lap Band on 03/27/06 with
I am scheduled for lapband surgery with Dr. Joya in PV March 27. I'm so excited, but today I got an email that deflated my joy! Someone emailed me to ask why I was using Dr. Joya and if I had considered Ortiz or Rumbaut, why so far from home, etc. She said Dr. Joya had been in trouble in TJ. I absolutely went into a tailspin. I spoke with someone from one of the other dr's offices and she didn't know of this. I am just quaking! I even thought about canceling. But didn't...yet. I want to feel secure again. This is unpleasant. Please advise me!
bonnied
on 3/2/06 9:24 am - St. Albans, VT
I know nothing of Dr. Joya except the good things I've read here on OH. I do know quite a bit about people badmouthing Mexican surgeons. Somehow I get the feeling this email was from someone here in the US, probably a friend thinking she is doing you a favor. She's not. Unless she's actually set foot in a Mexican hospital, she has no right to voice those opinions onto you. People do this out of fear. Believe me,. I've had my share of it leading up to surgery, I still get these outdated stereo-typical opinions based on some old movie or something! You will not be having surgery in an alley behind a tortilla factory by some guy trained on a horse! You cannot let yourself get bogged down in the opinions of others who have no actual basis for them. I remember my PCP chewing my butt out telling me people com to this country for health care they don't go to Mexico, it's a third world country! He was so wrong! I'm a nurse and worked on a surgical unit in our hospital for 3 years, I figured although I'm not the authority, I knew what to look for. Believe me, I scoped everything out and if anything was not to my liking, I was on the mext plane out of there! Remember, these hospitals are built to our standards! If they were not, they wouldn't be getting our American dollars that they love so much! You have enough to worry about, please close off the negativity. Remind these people that you need positive thoughts and prayers at this time and although they may not agree with you, they can support you I wish you the best of luck! Bonnie lap rny 6/3/05 264/164/165
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/06 11:26 am - Conway, AR
Thanks, Bonnie! You're a doll to send me these positive vibes!
LinZhi's Mum
on 3/2/06 8:25 pm - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
Bridgit, I am not sure what that is all about. When I researched all of Dr. Joya's credentials, ( and my follow up doctor did too) I did not see he ever practiced in TJ. He did in Miami. I do not know Ortiz, but have not heard anything bad of course, and I do know Dr. Rumbaut is excellant. He himself is banded. You know, its all a personal choice. We research, and sometimes you go with your gut feelings. I get sometimes angry on mainboar when someone advises someone...DO NOT GO TO Mexico....I want to respond but feel its useless. Folks think your having Surgery in a dirt floor shack. Its so NOT true. I had a great experience in Monterrry with Dr. Sanchez having my band. I was there on 2 occassions. Very nice hospital! Then of course I was in PV with Dr. Joya. I have nothing but praise with his care and hospital. Is this person that emailed you a friend? Hey, some folks want to doctor bash, but what I think is we are mostly all honest, and give our thoughts about our journeys. I want to be there to support WLS, no matter what doctor you chose. I think that is what we are here for. I am sorry you got this email, and is upsetting. Do not hesitate to call Dr. Joya's office, Gerald or Nathalie. Just ask, be honest..ease your mind. I am here for you Bridgit if you need anything Sandy
NeedHelp
on 3/3/06 5:55 am - Rockford, IL
Where did you find out that Dr. Joya had practiced in Miami? I don't know where to look to see his credentials or what to look for. I am making a back up plan to gp to Mexico if insurance doesn't pan out. I think I have narrowed it down to Joya or Raumbaut. Can you tell me how you found out info on the drs. Kim M.
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/06 11:27 am - Conway, AR
Sandy...you were one of the first people I spoke with about Dr. Joya...and I thank you for your ever-continuing support. You're a great person and I hope to meet you one day...in PV, of course!!!!
drhedg01
on 3/3/06 1:58 am - Louisville, KY
RNY on 08/15/05 with
Bridget, I had Dr. Joya over 6 months ago and he is FANTASTIC. When I was down there, absolutely EVERYONE was great and all his patients did really well. I had the best care ever and completely trust him. You know, I think doctors compete and try dirty tricks sometimes. I can't imagine Dr. Joya ever being in trouble. You WILL be so happy and relieved that you did it. I'm not on this board much anymore, so just e-mail me and I will try to support you through the next few weeks. Just remember one month from now you will be thrilled you have done it! Donna 333/237/165
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/06 11:29 am - Conway, AR
Thanks, Donna!!! You're right...he's FANTASTIC!
dancingqueen
on 3/3/06 10:06 am - NY
RNY on 03/14/06 with
i'm scheduled for lap rny with dr joya on march 14. i, too, have only heard and read positive things about him. obviously, i'm a pre-op, and it really offends me that someone would make anyone on this board second-guess their decision. i think that whoever sent you this disturbing email, bridget, should come forward with EXACTLY where they got this information. in my "humble" opinion, if this individual *is* credible, he or she should feel obligated to produce evidence of these claims. i think we would all like to find out the truth behind this. hang in there, bridget! i believe in my heart that we are all making the right decision in choosing dr joya. i have searched for hours and even days online, looking for any red flags regarding dr joya, the hospital, staff, etc., and i haven't been able to find anything that even the best skeptic could use to make a case for doubting him. best wishes!
(deactivated member)
on 3/3/06 11:29 am - Conway, AR
Thanks...it's all cleared up and I'm a happy camper...soon to be a bandster camper!
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views