Suggestions appreciated

Dinka Doo
on 2/15/06 2:05 pm - Medford, OR
If I'm reading this correctly and remember her other post correctly (too lazy to check right now) wasn't this an issue with the gallbladder alone and not the liver? Gallstones can develop in a short period of time on people who lose lots of weight regardless if they had wls or not. I honestly feel that the doctors in the US take it out on patients who have anything come up for going outside the US for wls. I've heard of it on more than 1 occasion. If any complication arises, it was because they went out of the country. Well, I'd like to see them explain how no less than 4 people in my support group alone had major complications & almost died from their wls here in the US by one of the pioneers in wls. It's just their way of making the patients feel like idiots for going outside the US on many occasions. I really resent that. Dina
Vicki P.
on 2/20/06 8:23 am - AZ
You're so right Dina - I'm fortunate that my PCP has been supportive of me going to Mexico...but any other dr's & nurses have rolled their eyes when told I went to Mexico. I wrote an article for my newspaper last fall and would be happy to share it with you. I too was disgusted with the attitude people take when discussing going out of the country. How would I email it to you? The dr. who attended me in the hospital did say that he felt that the gall stones were too large to have formed in 30 days time. Of course, he was encouraging me to fight my insurance if they refused to pay because of my wls surgery, saying that they were not related. I never had any problems until about a year ago, I started having heartburn all the time, I thought it was a heart attack at first. I started eating Tum's & they'd work, I went thru more Tums in six months than I'd had in my entire life & I'm 54! Anyway, looking back, maybe it was my gallbladder acting up at the time. Who knows? Thanks again for the feedback. Sincerely, Vicki
Vicki P.
on 2/20/06 7:46 am - AZ
Thank you Pat for the great links. I appreciate your helpfulness. I haven't been on the computer for quite awhile. I just appreciate your responding. Congratulations on your great weight loss. Sorry you've had so much tragedy lately. Regards, Vicki
SandiBeach
on 2/16/06 10:27 am - Northwest USA
Vicky, I had many problems in the begining. My sence of smell was over the top, everything made me want to throw-up, which I did all the time. I threw-up even when I ate nothing. After my gallbladder came out, life was soooo much better. I thought I might die before they found my gallbladder to be bad, most of the time I was just so tired. I also did not take my thyroid pills. Big mistake... Try crushing them and taking them, this should help you out a little. Try and talk to your doctor again, explain you eating problems. It will also go to other probelms if you are not kept hydrated and vitiamin levels are kept normal. It seem so important to get your gallbladder out ASAP, at least it was for me... I was lucky a Dr here in my city that does gastric bypass did the surgery for my gallbladder and apendix removal (the appendix was taken out to avoid at any future date having problems). The difference was night and day. Take care of yourself, please know that it gets better everyday. It can be a hard road for some people. I was very hard for me( I am almost 3 years out, Dr A was my MX doctor). God bless.
Vicki P.
on 2/20/06 8:39 am - AZ
How soon after your wls did you have your gallbladder removed? They felt it was too dangerous to operate at one month. It's now been 2 months since my wls and I have an appt next week with a surgeon, so hopefully it won't be much longer. I started taking my thyroid pill in the hospital and it's already helping. As I posted earlier, I just feel so sick & weak, I can't do anything. I too have begun to wonder if I'm going to make it through this. I've worked on my newspaper for nine years, not taking any time off or vacations. I came back from Mexico & within a week was back working & publishing our Jan 15 issue, then this gallbladder thing hit me & I've been totally out of commission. I just exist througout the day, I can't read, I can't sleep, so it's frustrating. The last couple of days I've been running a little fever & been coughing, which just adds to my lethargy. I'm trying to drink fluids - I know I'm not getting in the amount a lot of people suggest, but I'm drinking about 40 oz. of water, and have a couple of sugar free popsicles. I don't understand where this sense of smell problem is coming from. I just can't handle to eat hardly anything, so I can't wait to get this gallbladder out. Thanks so much for the encouragement.Keep in touch. Sincerely, Vicki
lmsmith
on 2/17/06 12:15 am - Burnaby, Canada
Maybe try getting some unflavored protein powder adn add it to the Carnation Instant Breakfast. Since you can handle it, it would help to increase your protien and give you more energy and stamina. Also, maybe add some dry milk powder to it instead. It's also high in protein and that would help as well. Can you drink chicken broth? That was my life saver in the beginning, I would add a scoop of unflavored protein and that would give me abou 25-30 grams of protein per mug full. A couple of those a day should help to make you feel better. I have even added the protein powder or dry milk powder to my tea to help. Leanne LAP RNY _ Dec 16/05 Dr Joya - PV Mexico 274/247/199.5/140
Hernandez
on 2/18/06 12:27 pm - Rockford, IL
Hi Vicki, I am new to this site, but I do know that if you have gallbladder problems you want to stay away from anything fried, or creamed(like thick creamy soups). Milk alone is another bad one. Try to eat things that are bland. I hope this helps. Kristi
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views