follow up care in usa

NeedHelp
on 2/11/06 11:08 am - Rockford, IL
What are the considerations I should keep in mind if I decide to go with a rny in Mexico and then live here in Illinois? Who takes care of me? Will my insurance not take care of me anymore if I have surgery outside of the US? Help - these are critical questions.
BeeHappe
on 2/13/06 6:44 am - Hinton, IA
RNY on 08/09/05 with
I had a doctor here already set up for the follow up care. I had to do his classes and stuff, but he took me on as long as I didn't have any complications. He is great. You will just have to call and check around. The doc here has been submitting my bills to the insurance co. and guess what, they pay them!! They wouldn't even touch the surgery, but they are paying for my follow up. Good luck. Jen
bonnied
on 2/13/06 1:05 pm - St. Albans, VT
You need to have a good long conversation with your PCP. Many PCP's will follow RNY patients. The follow up is usually only bloodwork, unless you develop a nutritional problem and need a nutritionist, which is an easy referral. I did run into my insurance rejecting my first post-op visit once I was home. Because my PCP coded it as RNY and my policy does not cover anything related to RNY or post op care. Further visits are now being billed under my other health conditions such as diabetes, and are being paid for. They have to, because even though I no longer have high blood sugar, I'm still diabetic! Just discuss this with your doc. If they only put RNY on the charge ticket, it could get rejected by insurance. He needs to include ALL your health conditions in the charges. One thing you really should find out is the closest hospital to your home that has a surgeon who does gastric bypass. If in any case you have an emergency and need to be seen, you need someone familiar with this surgery, and not end up being someone's guinea pig! It is extremely rare, but can happen, so be prepared for every scenario. If it is an emergency, figure out the bill later, make sure you get the best care you possibly can by the most competent people. Often here in the states, where someone has RNY is quite far from their home, and they need a plan B as well. Don't feel like you will not get taken care of because you had surgery in Mexico. My PCP initially tried to talk me out of it, telling me that people come to the US for medical care, they don't go to Mexico. When He saw how well I was doing, he now says, I'll have to keep that doc in mind for others! Follow up for a band is much different and more difficult from what I've seen here on the boards. Best of luck! Bonnie lap rny 6/3/05 264/168/165
Just Me
on 2/22/06 5:59 am - Happy Place, TN
I must admit, I have not had follow up care. The most valuable asset I have is this board. I feel, even if I had an active Primary Care Physician, my health is up to me, and it is my responsibility to become ACTIVELY aware of options. That said, I figure the most important thing for me to do is keep up with my "number" Blood Pressure, Sugar Levels, HDL, LDL, Bone Density (as bone density will decrease, especially frequent after WLS) and monitor my vitamin levels through tests and bloodwork. Other than that, I watch what I eat, focus on exercise and try to forget I have had an RNY and carry on like a normal person who doesn't focus on food.
Just Me
on 2/22/06 6:00 am - Happy Place, TN
ps: I go to an independent agency to have bloodtests and a hospital to have bone density tests. I pay cash.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views