Great Doctors!!!

denaly
on 1/22/06 3:33 am - Eugene, OR
RNY on 09/11/06 with
I will be having surgery in Mexico due to financial issues and would like some recommendations of doctors, the prices, experiences including bad, and anything else. I want the rny preferrebly laprascopic but am willing to have the open. Thanks, Diertra
(deactivated member)
on 1/23/06 12:01 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
I went to Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Check out my profile if you haven't already. Best wishes, Kina 220/147/120?
Dinka Doo
on 1/23/06 1:56 am - Medford, OR
Hello from Medford! I went to see Dr. Aguirre in Ensenada. I know several Oregonians who have gone to see him including 2 from my area, a couple from the So. Or coast and someone from Cottage Grove. There are a lot more from the Willamette Valley as well, but I can't remember everyone. Dr. Aguirre has a longstanding excellent reputation and I'd go back in a heartbeat. Dr. Aguirre only does the open RNY and has been in practice since the 80's. I had a wonderful experience and had absolutely no complications. I do believe he has had only 1 death and that was I think now about 13 years ago. In addition to using the staples, Dr. Aguirre also hand sews on top of this to ensure no leaks. This is apparently not something that is common amongst most surgeons. I know that the doctor in Eugene that recently retired did most of the surgeries of the people who go to my local support group and no less than 4 of them had serious complications and numerous leaks....and he was considered a pioneer in the field. After having been in my support group as long as I have, I have no question that Dr. Aguirre's skills are well above average and I would rather go back to Mexico and pay out of pocket than to stay here in the US and see some of the surgeons my group members saw. The more I see, the stronger I feel. There are some fabulous surgeons here locally, so I'm not knocking them, but just trying to give an overview to put it in perspective. If you have to go outside the country due to costs, I highly recommend Dr. Aguirre. The other thing I love about Dr. Aguirre is that he does 1 surgery a day 4 days a week. That means he is fresh as a daisy for your surgery and you know he has time to tend to you should you need extra care. He enjoys his lifestyle and you can tell that he is very well balanced. He does surgery in the morning, takes the afternoon off to bike or hike or whatever else he does, then sees patients in his office in the evening. I have to say that I loved that he was so well balanced in his life between work and recreation. It gave me that much more confidence in him that he is not out there to rake in as many clients in a day as possible, thus wearing himself out. I'm not sure what the cost is now but in 2005 it was $9400 for all surgical and hospitalization costs. I went in 2004 and it was $8500. I spent about $11,000 total for airfare for myself and a friend and to stay in the Hotel Coral for 8 days, plus mad money for her and whatever I felt being frivolous with and ground transportation. He now has apartments set up for patients and families that have all the amenities you need, plus a computer with internet so you can keep in touch with family and friends. You can click on the surgeon name here and get to the testimonials section and also check out my profile for more info on Dr. Aguirre if you like. Hope that helps! Dina
BeeHappe
on 1/23/06 2:33 am - Hinton, IA
RNY on 08/09/05 with
I also went to Dr. Joya the same time that Kina did and we had the best time!! I would recommend him 100x over!!! Check out our profiles and email if you have any questions!! Jen 275/190/150
SouthTX LapBand
on 1/23/06 8:04 am - Orange Grove, TX
Don't be "willing" to go with an open surgery as it heightens complications and morbidity significantly.. Find a doctor who has the specialized laproscopic equipment that is BUILT for very large patients. If you haven't already had surgeries (gallbladder for instance) that might have left significant adhesions (scar tissues), then there is no reason to have anything but a laproscopic. Contact doctors' offices and ask to speak to patients (at least 5 from each surgeon) who are at least 1-3 years out. Talk to them PRIVATELY, not just on a support group site, "out in the open". For that matter, many of them may let you join an online support group of theirs ahead of time. Do your research --- even consider whether you really want an RNY when you could be having a LapBand. After 3 years, the maintenance of weight loss and ability to stay near goal is at least equal if not better. LapBand is not as dramatic, but I know many people a year out who have lost at least 100 pounds and are still losing. If you are interested in a crash course in "what you need to know to be successful", check out Smart Bandsters at YahooGroups Theresa Banded 11/08/05 Start BMI of 47 Current BMI of 42 Goal BMI of 26
Dinka Doo
on 1/23/06 11:50 pm - Medford, OR
I'd like to see statistics proving having an open RNY heightens morbidity. I've not found one surgeon who says lap RNY is safer than open. And in fact, when you go lap, they always give you the speech that there is always a chance they will have to convert to open if they have problems. Fact of the matter is that open means the surgeons hands are doing the cutting and sewing. Lap means tools are being used. There are some very skilled surgeons in lap out there, but tools will never be able to feel what a hand feels nor have the accuracy. Let's not try to scare people away from going open. All surgeries have their benefits and risks. We all have our choices we made and shouldn't try to scare others into following our biases. Dina
pattycake
on 1/24/06 12:31 am - macon, GA
of course any procedure done by lap is safer than open. this is largely due to the added risks of infections to an open wound. that def should not deter anyone from having the procedure done. i had mine open... having the scar is a ***** but i'd do it again in a heart beat.
Dinka Doo
on 1/24/06 4:46 am - Medford, OR
Actually, I have to disagree. The procedure itself is safer done open because there is more maneuverability and tactile precision over mechanics. The issue of wound infections does come into play, but although they can be a ***** to deal with, they aren't responsible for as many deaths as a botched lap job. I am all for lap, so don't get me wrong. I think if you want to have it done that way, that is great. But the fact is that open is much safer regarding most surgeries, especially gastric bypasses because the risk of leaks and bleeds are less. You just can't maneuver around in there as well with tools as you can with hands. That being said, you have to pick your poison, so to speak. Are you more concerned with the fraction of a percent higher risk of leaks or bleeds with a lap or are you more concerned about a wound infection? The thing about lap is that the surgeon must be highly skilled or all those wonderful statistics go flying out the window. One false move and you've nicked the liver or kidney or perforated a bowel. The chances of that happening are simply less with open. Either way, regardless of what you choose, you take your chances, weigh the options and go with what you feel most comfortable with. Dina
Kelli ~.
on 1/23/06 9:05 am - Atwater, CA
Dr. Alberto Aceves has a great following. I've researched on him since late 2004 and put my deposit down in Nov 2005, Friday I go in for the lapband. I've heard glowing reports from many of his patients. Please go see : Tracyslapband.com she will also have other patients of Dr. A's on her website. Check out www.mexicolapband.com. Lapband surgery is $8,200.00 and free fills for life, and includes p/u from airport to the hospital in Mexicali (Ca/Arizona borders) for free. Offers patients a list of local doctors for aftercare as well. Take care and good luck with your results. Kelli
bonnied
on 1/24/06 1:23 am - St. Albans, VT
Hi Dietra! First you definately have to decide which surgery is right for you. THe field is definately divided and people are very passionnate about which procedure they chose. For one minute, remove the emotion out of the equation. Surgery is risky, period. Do not for one minute think you will be any safer having a band versus RNY. An overweight person receiving anesthesia is risky in itself and you could die! That being said, you need to research both procedures and decide which one you will be able to be compliant with over the long haul. WLS is only a tool to use, not a cure all. You need to be able to be compliant with the "rules" of the procedure you chose in order to succeed for life! There are ups and downs to both surgeries. Just be aware of all of them, nothing is a cakewalk! Anyway, I chose RNY and am very glad I did. I chose Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey for lap RNY. I chose him because he has been doing this for years and has excellent credentials and references. He actually has a band himself! Anyway, he's the most expensive ($14500) but so worth it! He operates out of San Jose hospital, a teaching hospital, not some "surgery center" but a real hospital. He actually has residents and is teaching them to do surgery. Anyway, after weighing all of my options, Dr. Rumbaut kept coming to the top of the list. So I did all I could to come up with the money. I do not regret it one bit. Seems to me that the surgeons who keep getting the most kudos on this website are Dr. Aguirre, Dr. Rumbaut and Dr. Joya. Good luck with your research and choice! Bonnie lap rny 6/3/05 264/171/165
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views