What should I take with me to Mexico?

victoria
on 12/18/05 1:27 pm - Seymour, MO
Planning my trip to Mexico for RNY in March. What do I need to plan on taking? What can I eat/drink that first week post op and is it easy to get there? Will I feel like going to grocery store? Do I need vitamins? What about my pills that I take now for blood pressure, etc.?
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/05 12:27 am
RNY on 08/16/05 with
Hi, congratulations on your decision! You won't regret it. Where are you going in Mexico? I went to Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta. Loved it!! Check out my profile. Don't take too much like I did. Try to take only one small suitcase. Elastic wasted clothes are best. Where I went, they had soap, shampoo/conditioner at the hospital and hotel, so you don't need that. You'll be able to go the store after a few days, just don't over do it. Don't worry about vitamins until you are a few weeks out (believe me, you probably won't be able to get them down anyway.) As far as your current prescriptions, just let your surgeon know and they will let you know what to do there. Now, of course, you should discuss all of this with your surgeon. He will also have a diet for you to follow after surgery. Dr. Joya wanted us on clear liquids for 2 weeks after surgery, then full liquids for 2 weeks, and so on. Best wishes to you Kina 220/156/130
NkyBelle76
on 12/19/05 1:35 am - Union, KY
RNY on 11/29/05 with
Hi Victoria! I went to Dr. Joya as well. I over packed big time! You really don't have to worry about taking vitamins and food because you'll be on clear liquids and you can get all of that there. One thing I would suggest is to make some flashcards for just simple things that you want to tell the nurses. Some of them, not all, don't speak english and it's like charades. I think that would have helped a lot! Other than that, just take some comfortable clothes, good chapstick and something to read! Good luck!
Lorraine Wentz
on 12/19/05 2:23 am - St. Catharines, Canada
Don't forget your hair products! Brush, shampoo, conditioner.... And for gods sake, DON'T FORGET YOUR MONEY!!!!!!! I was lucky I only lived 5 mins. from the airport, or I wouldn't have had my surgery when I did!!!! Cheers and lots of luck! Lorraine
LinZhi's Mum
on 12/19/05 7:44 am - Wadsworth, OH
RNY on 11/30/05 with
Well, Victoria, Kena and Missy about covered it all. Now, I did bring some books to read, and I did not read anything! I was having too much fun running around and on beach. I did not bring a swimsuit to lay out in, and could have brought more summery type outfits. I brought mostly "lounge" type clothes, but low and behold, I felt great and was not "lounging" in the hotel room!!! As far as your prescriptions, be sure and put them on your list for your health history, and go ahead and put them in your purse, just incase they are needed pre op. But for sure, discuss with Gerald. I take Lunesta to sleep, ( I am a night shift worker) and I brought them and I used once later on after i was on liquids in the hotel. Nathalie will take you to the hotel, and run you by store or walmart, to make sure you have water, juice and so forth. Goodluck!! Sandy
Lena Kay
on 12/23/05 7:02 am - WA
I was glad I'd brought my own travel robe for coziness in the hotel, and a a book. There's a lot of waiting before surgery, and reading can distract you from worrying if you feel nervous. I have trouble sleeping in unfamiliar places, so I brought an eye shade to block out the light in the hospital and help me settle down.
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 628 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1212 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1838 views