New to the board and tax write off info

taschenbrenner
on 12/1/05 11:43 am - Murrieta, CA
Hello Everyone! I am new to this board, but I've been lurking about for a few months now. It's helped me to read all of your experiences. It looks like time & financing have all come together for me to have the lap band done down in Mexico. I live an hour from TJ, so getting there and back is the easy part! Anyhow, I'm super excited to be headed down the path to buying smaller sizes, rather than going up another one (again!). Insurance was never an option as I am uninsured. I know there are some expenses related to weight loss that can be deducted on the Federal (bloodsuckers) Income Tax return. Just wondering if any of you have deducted the expense, and how much you were able to deduct. I do intend to talk to a tax person about it at some point, but I want to hear real life instances first (if possible). Thanks!
bonnied
on 12/1/05 9:37 pm - St. Albans, VT
I had my surgery 6/3/05 and have not deducted these items yet. But I was told by a local accountant that I can fully deduct surgical costs and related expenses such as airfare and hotel because my PCP recommended having WLS. This info is fully documented by my physician and I am able to provide this to the US government if I am ever audited. I hope this helps a bit and good luck on your surgery! Bonnie
EBruce
on 12/2/05 7:02 am - Vero Beach, FL
I had surgery last year and deducted all expenses on my taxes per my accountant. Good Luck PS if you are looking for a good docter, Dr. Aceves is great. Elizabeth 240/185/140
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views