Dr. Ortiz/Surgery in Jan.:-D

happy
on 12/1/05 11:43 am - Boise, ID
Has anyone out there been to Dr. Ortiz? I am going to him in Jan. I am wondering if i should seek out some support groups here before i go, just to have back-up when it is all over. I have read alot about the before care here in the states and wonder if in someway i am "missing out" on some important psychological and emotional knowledge. The surgery itself i have researched to no end and i feel pretty well informed. Does anyone have any advice on this for me? Thanks
bonnied
on 12/1/05 9:47 pm - St. Albans, VT
I advise anyone to make sure they have seen a counselor a few times. Especially those who have gone to Mexico and did not have to follow a more stringent program here in the US. I had gone through my local program whi*****luded counseling before heading south of the border because of insurance. The information is still very valueable to me and I'm 6 months out. I thought I was prepared too, even after counselling and taking care of WLS patients as a nurse. I was very suprised at how WLS changes you and how my relationship with food affected me once the food was gone. I have met many here on OH that had WLS and then were crying "what have I done" and were very dissatisfied and not prepared (or underestimated) for the emotional changes you go through with WLS. It also drastically changes your relationships with others, a spouse, best friend, etc. WLS is not wonderful for everyone in your life. For example, I was always "the fat one" and my sister, the "skinny one" now that role is reveresed and it does affect your relationship. I'm also going through the same with my best friend of 11 years. Yes, she is supportive and loves me and wishes only the best. But it is very hard for her to become "the fat one" and she struggles with it and sometimes makes rude comments to me because she's so down on herself about her own weight. So anyway, being able to talk with someone, especially one familiar with WLS, is very helpful. Also find a local WLS support group and go, my local ones have no problems letting out of towners join in. I wish you the best of luck. You are a very thoughtful and prepared person to ask this question! Bonnie
Most Active
Recent Topics
My journey
AbiM · 0 replies · 433 views
Mexico said NO
waarce · 0 replies · 626 views
Dr. Alvarez, Endobariatrics
msmith434343 · 0 replies · 1211 views
Surgery at Pompeii Surgical?
JCler97080 · 4 replies · 1837 views